News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Recent posts

Medeek Floor Plugin / Re: Development and Updates fo...
Last post by Medeek - September 12, 2024, 07:07:13 PM
I was thinking about hanger hardware for the joists but then I realized that things are quite a bit more complicated with these polygon floors.  For example look at this floor:

The situation gets interesting for the first six joists in the array, they would require four hangers each rather than just the normal two.  I'm going to have to really put on my thinking cap for this one.

And then you have the additional complication of non-orthogonal edges which may require special skewed hangers...  Fortunately those are probably not as common so I can probably ignore that case for now.

P.S.

I may have to bounce some ideas off of @DanRathbun and the other great minds on this forum to devise an efficient algorithm. 

At first glance I think I can examine each joist individually once they've been trimmed/cut and count the number of edges that run parallel to the joist (x-axis or y-axis).  For a regular lumber joist the total number of pieces will be the number of horizontal (long edges) divided by four.  That will tell me how many hangers I actually need.

I can then cycle through this collection of edges finding all of the terminal vertices/locations and assign to each one a direction (left facing or right facing).  From there it is simply a matter of running a for loop and placing the hangers.  I think this will work but it may not be optimized yet.

P.P.S

I also just realized that there is the possibility for some joists to be doubled, which will naturally require a different hanger, so the hanger selection will require two parameters, one for single ply an one for two ply.  However, there may be a situation where you want there to be hangers only on one side of the floor (ie. a deck with a ledger and beam supported on the other end) so four parameters for hanger selection:

1.)  Start Hanger (1X Ply)
2.) Start Hanger (2X Ply)
3.) End Hanger (1X Ply)
4.) End Hanger (2X Ply)
Last post by Medeek - September 12, 2024, 03:23:13 PM
Version 0.9.3 - 09.12.2024
- Fixed a critical bug in the Draw Floor menu.
- Added a status icon (Draw Mode: Polyline or Face) in upper right corner of the Draw Floor menu.
- Added the Draw Mode parameter to Floors tab of the Global Settings.
Last post by Medeek - September 11, 2024, 07:27:08 PM
Version 0.9.2 - 09.11.2024
- Enabled a overhang for deck boards.
- Enabled a global offset for deck boards.
- Fixed a bug with floor presets.

Last post by Medeek - September 11, 2024, 12:22:58 AM
**Tutorial 1** - Extension Overview (19:43 min.)

Last post by Medeek - September 11, 2024, 12:15:47 AM
Version 0.9.1 - 09.10.2024
- Enabled doubling of individual joists.
- Enabled offsetting of individual joists.
- Enabled global offsetting of joists.
- Added a duplicate floor check to the regen module for all floor types.
- Updated the javascript logic within the License tab of the Global Settings.
Last post by Medeek - September 09, 2024, 01:01:03 PM
The current todo list in no specific order:

1.)  Floor Coverings: Tile, Carpet, Hardwood etc...
2.)  Floor Openings:  Stairwell and Crawlspace or ladder access
3.)  In Floor Beams
4.)  Blocking:  Mid-span blocking, custom blocking, edge blocking
5.)  Ledgers:  customize each edge or side of an assembly with a custom ledger or rim joist setting.
6.)  Hardware:  Joist Hangers, Beam Hangers, diagonal bracing, deck holdowns

7.)  Railing: for decks
8.)  Custom Joist Doubling:  ability to double any number of joists in the array
9.)  Custom Joist Offset:  ability to offset any number of joists independently.
10)  Global Joist Offset
11.)  Max. Joist Span Indicator:  Engineering related
12.)  Diagonal deck boards
13.)  MPC Wood Floor Trusses
14.)  Steel Trusses (not high priority)

Feel free to help me add to this list.
Last post by Medeek - September 09, 2024, 11:06:21 AM
I desperately need to work on the hole tool and the floor covering tool. These two additions will make the plugin truly powerful. At this point it is not much better than the previous floor module in the Truss plugin (other than the ability to create polygon floor outlines).

There will be instances that hangers will be utilized however joists that are cut at diagonals will complicate the matter somewhat, I'm not even sure what hardware is available in that regard, I will have to spend some time researching that one and then coming up with a clever algorithm.

Please email me any feedback directly to nathan@medeek.com, any and all feedback is appreciated.

I've already updated the database so anyone who holds a license for the plugin has now had their license renewed for a full year.
Last post by Medeek - September 08, 2024, 11:36:26 PM
Version 0.9.0 - 09.08.2024
- Created the Medeek Floor Plugin, utilizing SketchUp's Ruby API.
- Added the draw floor tool with the ability to create I-Joist and solid sawn (lumber) polygon shaped floors.

The Floor extension can be downloaded directly here:

http://design.medeek.com/calculator/sketchup/medeek_floor_ext.rbz

Note that this is a BETA release and does not include all of the future planned functionality (ie. openings, beams etc...)  I am only posting this release in a few select locations to allow power users to test it out first and help me further debug and refine it.  After approximately a week I will send out a notification to all users letting them know that the release is now publicly available. Hopefully in that time I can catch the most glaring bugs and issues so that my inbox does not become swamped.

Also all those who have been issued licenses in the last year or so will have their expiration update date of their license automatically renewed so that it will be active for one year starting from tomorrow's date (09/09/2025).
Last post by Medeek - September 08, 2024, 08:02:19 PM
The Move Floor Edge tool is working as it should:
Last post by Medeek - September 08, 2024, 02:13:08 PM
A reverse lapped rim joist with a regular lap on the sill plate:

I think I will forego the "solid" option for the rim and sill for now. If requested I will add it in but I don't consider it a priority right now.