3.2.4 - 02.09.2023
Welcome to the documentation for the Medeek Truss extension. Medeek Truss is a SketchUp Extension that provides a simple interface for creating accurate 3D truss and roof geometry within SketchUp. This extension utilizes the SketchUp Ruby API programming interface and is compatible with the latest SketchUp releases (SketchUp Make 2017 64-bit and SketchUp Pro 2023 64-bit) as well as previous versions (2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022).
What Can You Do with Medeek Truss
Currently, the plugin allows the creation of the following common truss types (Metric and US/Imperial):
- King Post (2/2) [with gable end and raised/energy heel options]
- Queen Post (4/2) [with gable end and raised/energy heel options]
- Fink (4/3) [with gable end and raised/energy heel options]
- Howe (4/4) [with gable end and raised/energy heel options]
- Fan (6/3) [with gable end and raised/energy heel options]
- Mod Queen (6/4) [with gable end and raised/energy heel options]
- Double Fink (6/5) [with gable end and raised/energy heel options]
- Double Howe (6/6) [with gable end and raised/energy heel options]
- Mod Fan (8/4) [with gable end and raised/energy heel options]
- Triple Fink (8/7) [with gable end and raised/energy heel options]
- Triple Howe (8/8) [with gable end and raised/energy heel options]
- Quad Fink (10/9) [with gable end and raised/energy heel options]
- Attic [US/Imperial - with gable end and raised/energy heel options]
- Monopitch (2/2, 3/3) [Metric and US/Imperial - with gable end and raised/energy heel options]
- Scissor (2/2, 4/2, 4/4, 6/4, 6/6) [Metric and US/Imperial - with gable end and raised/energy heel options]
- Tail Bearing (Fink) [Metric and US/Imperial - with gable end option]
- Dualpitch (2/2-3/3) [Metric and US/Imperial - with gable end option]
- Bowstring (6/6, 8/8) [Metric and US/Imperial - with gable end option]
- Bow Barrel (8/8) [Metric and US/Imperial - with gable end option]
- Polynesian (4/4) [Metric and US/Imperial - with gable end and raised/energy heel options]
- Cambered (6/X) [Metric and US/Imperial - with gable end option]
- Cathedral (4/X, 6/X) [Metric and US/Imperial - with gable end option]
- Tray [Metric and US/Imperial - with gable end option]
- Mono Scissor (2/2, 3/3, 4/4) [Metric and US/Imperial - with gable end and raised/energy heel options]
- Mono Cathedral (2/2, 4/4) [Metric and US/Imperial - with gable end and raised/energy heel options]
- Gambrel Attic [Metric and US/Imperial - with gable end and crow's beak option]
- Coffer [Metric and US/Imperial - with gable end option]
- Symmetric Cathedral [Metric and US/Imperial - with gable end option]
- Flat (Mansard, Parapet, Mansard w/ Parapet) [Metric and US/Imperial - with gable end option]
- Parallel Chord (2/2, 4/4, 6/6, 8/8) [Metric and US/Imperial - with gable end option]
- King Post (2/2) [US/Imperial only]
- Queen Post (4/2) [US/Imperial only]
- Howe (4/4) [US/Imperial only]
- Floor Truss (Modified Warren - System 42) [Metric and US/Imperial - with ladders,sill plates and ribbons]
- Weyerhaeuser Trus Joist®: TJI 110, TJI 210, TJI 230, TJI 360, TJI 560, TJI 560D [with rim joists and sill plates]
- Boise Cascade BCI® Joists: BCI 4500, BCI 5000, BCI 6000, BCI 6500, BCI 60, BCI 90 [with rim joists and sill plates]
- LP SolidStart® I-Joists: LPI 450, LPI 530, LPI 18, LPI 36, LPI 56 [with rim joists and sill plates]
- Red Built Red-I™ I-Joists: 45, 65, 90, 90H, 90HS [with rim joists and sill plates]
- PinkWood SAFEjoists™ I-Joists: PKI 10, PKI 20, PKI 23, PKI 35Plus, PKI 40, PKI 50 [with rim joists and sill plates]
- Solid Sawn Joist [Metric and US/Imperial - with rim joists and sill plates]
- Valley Sets [perpendicular roof lines and hip & ridge]
- Stepdown Hip Set [with raised/energy heel options and hip & ridge]
- Northeast Hip Set [with raised/energy heel options and hip & ridge]
- Terminal Hip Set [with raised/energy heel options and hip & ridge]
- Gable Roof (Symmetric and Asymmetric) [with ceiling joist option, hip & ridge and soffit & fascia (box, gable, angled)]
- Gable Roof w/ Glulam Beam [Flush, Drop]
- TJI Roof w/ Glulam Beam [Flush, Drop]
- TJI Roof w/ Dual Glulam Beam [Drop]
- Hip Roof (Symmetric and Asymmetric) [with hip & ridge and soffit & fascia]
- Dutch Gable Roof
- Shed Roof [with ceiling joist option and soffit & fascia (box, gable, angled)]
- Shed Roof w/ Ledger [with ceiling joist option and soffit & fascia (box, gable, angled)]
- Gable Dormer [dormer walls only]
- Complex Rafter Roof (Currently Under Construction, estimated completion ETA: 9/15/2023)
- Complex Truss Roof (Under Construction)
- Rectangular and Square
- Sun Tunnels (Under Construction)
- Sub-groups within roof assemblies can be made persistent by naming these groups or component instances to (custom1, custom2, custom3, etc...)
- Sub-groups within roof assemblies can be made persistent and subtractive by naming these groups to (subtract1, subtract2, subtract3, etc...)
- Electrical components (switches, outlets, service panels, lights) can be installed into roof assemblies with the Medeek Electrical extension.
- Common - Fink Truss [ANSI TPI 1-2007 / ANSI TPI 1-2014]
- Glulam Beam [AWC NDS 2015 / AWC NDS Supplement Table 5A]
- Trim Members: Single, Double or Triple Face
- Extend Members: Single Face
- Miter Cut Members
- Split Members: Single Face or Three Points
Custom layers can be enabled in the global settings which allow roof, wall and floor components to be placed on specific layers. Truss connector plates are available for select truss types and can also be enabled within the global settings.
Auto assignment of materials (colors and textures) are available as an option within the "Materials" tab of the global settings. Currently available materials are: Lumber, Pressure Treated Lumber, OSB, Plywood, LSL/PSL, and Metal Plate Connectors. Roof cladding can be specified within the global settings ("Sheathing" tab) and cladding thickness and roof material/texture can be set by the user.
The plugin allows the user to create an array of trusses by simply selecting three points which form the bounding rectangle (bldg. width x bldg. length) of the truss array. The number of trusses is automatically calculated based on the on center spacing and the building length.
Each individual member (chords, webs, sliders, wedges etc...) of the truss is modeled as a group with the entire truss forming a component having a unique name (ie. FINK_TRUSS_24_20171019123215). Arrays of trusses are created by invoking multiple instances of this truss component. This allows for modifications to all the trusses in an array by simply modifying one truss. Creating each member of the truss as a group allows modificatons or deletions to each member without affecting the rest of the truss geometry. Additionally each truss assembly (Array of Trusses) is grouped in order to facilitate future adjustments to the truss assembly as a whole.
Automatic gable end truss insertion is now available for all truss types except attic trusses. The gable end truss option is currently being added to the attic truss type and will be available in future releases. Other advanced features currently being considered for future releases are: Transistion Trusses, Hip Sets, Hip Rafters, Dormers, and Dynamic editing of Truss Components.
Advanced options allows for the creation of sheathing, rake boards, fascia, heel blocking, roof returns (hip, full), battens, counter-battens and outlookers. These options are currently available for the following truss types: Common, Attic, Monopitch, Scissor, Dualpitch, Tail Bearing, Mono Scissor, Tray, Coffer, Gambrel Attic, Symmetric Cathedral and Floor; and for the following rafter roofs: Gable, Gable with GLB, TJI with GLB, Hip, Shed and Shed with Ledger.
Advanced options also allows for the creation of gutters and downspouts for truss and rafter roofs. Specific gutter configurations can be customized within the gutter tab in the global settings. Currently four different gutters styles and two different downspout types are available in the global settings.
I-joist and solid sawn joists can be inset into the foundation with or without a ledger board and the appropriate hanger can be modeled as part of the joist component. Within the global settings I-joist manufacturer's logos can be enabled or disabled for ease of identification.
With the Medeek Truss Plugin, you can accurately depict typical roof trusses, floor trusses, rafters, and floor joists within SketchUp and better validate your architectural models.
The Truss Plugin is integrated with the Medeek Truss Designer and can provide engineering data (loads, internal forces, reactions and deflections) for specific common truss types (ie. King Post, Queen Post, Fink, Howe and Double Fink). The plugin is also recently integrated with the Medeek Beam Calculator and can automatically load the design parameters from SketchUp in order to check bending, shear, bearing and deflection for typical North American glulam beam sizes. Engineering for other truss types as well as rafters, joists and sheathing is in the process of being added and will become available in future releases. For additional engineering tools and site criteria maps please visit our Resources page.
This document is intended for architects, engineers, designers and homeowners who are using SketchUp as their primary 3D design tool. It provides an introduction to using the plugin and reference material on the available parameters/options for its use.
License and Limits of Use
The Medeek Truss Plugin is a proprietary softare developed for use with the SketchUp 3D modeling program. There are currently no limits to its use for both personal and commercial applications.
Design Parameters - Truss Geometry
The following items are typical design parameters than can be modified by the user to define the truss geometry during the truss creation process:
Truss Type(required) This item lists the common truss types that can be modeled within the plugin.
Out-to-out Span(required) Outside to outside of bearing walls that truss is spanning. This span is typically given in feet.
Top Chord Pitch(required) Vertical rise divided by horizontal run. This number is typically expressed as a ratio of incline (in.) to each 12 inches of run. For example 3:12, 4:12, 5:12 and so on. The plugin limits the roof pitch from 2.5:12 to 12:12 for some truss types. The roof slope input can be changed to an angle (degrees) within the global settings.
Overhang(required) Distance the truss projects beyond the bearing wall (outside) in inches. The overhang can be within the range of 0 to 42 inches. Left and right overhangs can be set indepedently of each other.
TC Size(required) Sets the depth of the top chord members of the truss in inches. Values are limited to nominal lumber sizes.
BC Size(required) Sets the depth of the bottom chord members of the truss in inches. Values are limited to nominal lumber sizes.
Web Size(required) Sets the depth of the web members of the truss in inches. Values are limited to nominal lumber sizes.
Ply Thickness(required) Sets the width of the truss members in inches. Values are not limited and the default is 1.5 inches for 2x lumber.
The trial version of the plugin has all the features of the full plugin however the span of the truss/rafter/joist is limited to a specific range of values. The trial version is also time limited to a thirty day period from the date of installation. Once the trial period has expired you will no longer be able to create new roof and floor assemblies however you can edit any existing assemblies and their features.
If you are a material supplier or vendor interested in advertising within the plugin please contact us at email@example.com.
Please download the trial plugin at the following link (plugin serial number is "TRIAL"):
We strongly encourage downloading, installing and actually using the trial version of the extension prior to committing to the purchase of a license. This will allow you to accurately assess the capabilities of the extension and determine whether or not it fits within your workflow.
The permanent license or version of the extension is an unrestricted, full, and permanent license for both commercial and personal use. The number of installations per licensed copy is not limited, however the license can only be concurrently utilized on up to (3) separate machines.
Free upgrades to the latest version of the extension can be downloaded at any time, within one year of the purchase date, by logging into the Account Manager. Once the initial (one year) license period has expired the license can be renewed for ($75.00) on a yearly basis.
Please note, an active license is not required to continue to use the extension. The extension will continue to function even if the license expires. The only reason to renew your license is to gain access to recent upgrades to the extension and also enable unlimited phone and email support.
Please do not redistribute unlicensed copies of the extension. Download of the extension is available immediately after purchase.
Purchase Medeek Truss ($150.00) at the following link:
Please login to the Account Manager to download the most up-to-date version of the extension.
If you purchase the extension through a qualified reseller you may be eligible for a discount off of the full purchase price. Please contact one our resellers for more details.
The subscription license or version of the extension is also an unrestricted full license for both commercial and personal use. The number of installations per licensed copy is not limited, however the license can only be concurrently utilized on up to (3) separate machines.
Please note, an active subscription/license is required to continue to use the extension. Once the subscription has expired the extension will not longer have full functionality and the purchase of a new subscription is required to continue to use the extension with its full capabilities.
An active subscription has access to the latest upgrades/version of the extension and can be downloaded at any time during the subscription period (1 year). An active subscription also includes unlimited phone and email support.
Purchase the Medeek Truss Subscription ($50.00/year) at the following link:
The mdkBIM suite combines all three extensions (Wall, Truss and Foundation) into one convenient package that can be purchased at a fairly sizable discount. The mdkBIM suite includes the full permanent version of all three extensions and will also include any future add-on plugins or modules.
Free upgrades to the latest versions of all three extensions can be downloaded at any time, within one year of the initial purchase date, by logging into the Account Manager. Once the initial (one year) license period has expired the licenses for each extension are renewed separately at their current renewal prices.
Purchase the mdkBIM Extension Suite [Permanent License] ($280.00) at the following link:
For professors, teachers, instructors and students requesting a fully functioning (educational) licensed copy of the extension(s) for educational use, please setup a Client Profile here and then send your request via email to firstname.lastname@example.org (please also include your Client ID that is generated when you have created your new client profile).
Once we have received your proof of enrollment (ie. Student ID Card) or other educational documention for instructors we will issue you a one time educational discount code which will allow you to purchase the mdkBIM suite (permanent license) at 20% of the regular price ($56.00).
Since most educational licenses are not intended to be a long term solution (for students) there is no educational (discounted) license renewal path, however one can renew any educational license just as one would renew a regular permanent license at the regular renewal pricing.
Permanent license renewals for instructors and teachers is handled on a case-by-case basis. Please contact support\@medeek.com if you need to renew your instructor's educational license(s).
You have 14 days from the date of purchase to request a refund for your Medeek subscription or permanent license. After 14 days, you cannot obtain a full or partial refund. All refunds are subject to a 5% restocking (transaction) fee.
The recent versions of SketchUp allow you to install zipped Ruby files or extensions (.rbz) directly within SketchUp.
To install the Medeek Truss extension (.rbz file format) within SketchUp 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022 and 2023:
- Login into your computer as an admin before installing any Ruby scripts. This will make the installation go more smoothly and ensure that files get installed in the proper places.
- Within SketchUp select Window > Extension Manager (Microsoft Windows) or SketchUp > Extension Manager (Mac OS X). The Extension Manager dialog box is displayed.
- Click on the Install Extension button. The Open dialog box is displayed.
- Locate the Ruby zip file to install (.rbz).
- Click on the Open button. SketchUp will install the extension and display a security prompt.
- The plugin will display a prompt for your plugin serial number (default value is "TRIAL") if this is a new installation.
- The Medeek Truss Plugin will now appear in the list of available extensions.
* Note: If you have previously installed the trial version of the extension and are upgrading to the fully licensed version it is not necessary to re-install the extension. To activate the full version of the extension:
- Click on the Global Settings icon (three slider bars). The Global Settings menu is displayed.
- Click on the License Tab within the global settings. The License Tab menu is displayed with an input box for your serial number.
- Enter your serial number (case sensitive) and then click Save Settings button at the bottom of the menu. A popup message will appear confirming your license registration and the Medeek Seal will be displayed.
- Restart SketchUp for the license activation to fully take.
If you are a registered user you can obtain the latest version of the plugin, at no additional charge, by logging in to the Account Manager. Click on the plugin icon and then on your order number, if your order was placed within the last year then you will see a download button which will allow you to obtain the latest version. If a year has expired since you purchased a license then a upgrade button will appear which will allow you to renew your license at a reduced rate for another year.
Once you have downloaded the new release, completely uninstall the existing extension prior to installing the latest release (click the Manage tab within the Extension Manager to uninstall). Failure to completely remove the existing plugin may cause some files to revert to the older version and impair the functionality of the plugin.
The current Medeek Truss Plugin menu has seven icons or sub-menus:
The available items are the following:
- Tail Bearing
- Bow Barrel
- Mono Scissor
- Mono Cathedral
- Gambrel Attic
- Symmetric Cathedral
- Parallel Chord
- Floor Truss
- TJI Joist
- BCI Joist
- LPI Joist
- Red-I Joist
- Lumber Joist (solid sawn)
- Valley Set
- Stepdown Hip Set
- Northeast Hip Set
- Terminal Hip Set
- Gable Roof
- Gable Roof w/ GLB
- TJI Roof w/ GLB
- TJI Roof w/ Dual GLB
- Hip Roof
- Dutch Gable Roof
- Shed Roof
- Shed Roof w/ Ledger
- Gable Dormer (dormer walls only)
- Truss (common truss types only)
- Beam (glulam beams only)
- General Settings: Language, Graphical UI, Check for Updates
- Materials [Custom Material Library, SKM Import]
The Complex Roofs Toolbar has four icons or functions:
The available items are the following:
- Draw Complex Roof:
- Complex Rafter Roof (Ridge Boards, Sheathing, Cladding, Sub-fascia, Soffit & Fascia, Gutters, estimated ETA: 12/31/2023)
- Complex Truss Roof (Under Construction, estimated ETA: 7/31/2024)
The Skylights Toolbar has four icons or functions:
The available items are the following:
- Draw Skylight:
- Edit Skylight
- Regen Skylight
- Delete Skylight
The Medeek Tools Toolbar has six icons or functions: (Moved to the Medeek Project extension - Jan. 11, 2023)
The available items are the following:
- Trim (group and component) [trim with one face]
- Extend (group and component) [extend with one face]
- Trim 2 (group and component) [trim with two faces]
- Trim 3 (group and component) [trim with three faces]
- Miter Cut (group and component)
- Split (group and component) [split via one face or three points]
The following video tutorials are currently available on YouTube:
- Tutorial 1: Common Trusses (26:37 min.)
- Tutorial 2: Valley Truss Sets (7:56 min.)
- Tutorial 3: Hip Rafter Roofs (12:45 min.)
- Engineering: Truss Designer and Beam Calculator (30:30 min.)
- Tutorial 5: Hip Truss Sets (24:32 min.)
- Tutorial 6: Timber Trusses (14:50 min.)
- Tutorial 7: Edit Function - Truss Assembly (10:26 min.)
- Tutorial 8: Trim Function - Medeek Tools (8:30 min.)
- Tutorial 9: Trim 2 Function - Medeek Tools (7:29 min.)
- Tutorial 10: Extend Function - Medeek Tools (6:44 min.)
- Tutorial 11: Trim 3 Function - Medeek Tools (8:40 min.)
- Tutorial 12: Miter Cut Function - Medeek Tools (8:47 min.)
- Tutorial 13: Split Function - Medeek Tools (6:33 min.)
- Tutorial 14: Asymmetric Gable Roofs (10:02 min.)
- Tutorial 15: Asymmetric Hip Roofs (16:49 min.)
- Tutorial 16: Introduction to Complex Roofs (19:42 min.)
- Tutorial 17: Complex Roof Connections (19:05 min.)
- Tutorial 18: Skylights (14:22 min.)
- Tutorial 19: Polygon Floor Workaround (21:46 min.)
- Tutorial 20: Custom and Subtractive Geometry (17:18 min.)
The following, previously recorded "LIVE", video training sessions are also available on YouTube. These videos are typically longer than the tutorials listed above and involve more detailed discussions with participants about current and up and coming features:
The mdkBIM video tutorial series is also available on YouTube. These videos are typically longer than the standard tutorial videos and usually involve the modeling of an entire architectural structure with all of the mdkBIM extensions:
- mdkBIM Tutorial 1: Modeling a Two Car Detached Garage (41:14 min.)
- mdkBIM Tutorial 2 (Part 1): Garage 2826-2 (35:13 min.)
- mdkBIM Tutorial 2 (Part 2): Garage 2826-2 (48:50 min.)
Sample SketchUp models related to these tutorials and training sessions can be downloaded here.
View the Medeek Truss Plugin Manual (Under Construction) for detailed information on the plugin and its usage. Note, that the manual is still a work in progress and does not provide complete coverage of the plugins full capabilities.
Please contact support directly at: email@example.com
Language support is planned (partially available) for the following languages: English, French, Spanish, German, Russian, Swedish, Japanese, Korean and Chinese (Simplified). Translation of the user inteface is currently under development.
The current version of the Medeek Truss Plugin is 3.2.4 - revision date: 02.09.2023.
View the Medeek Truss Plugin Changlog for more information on updates to this plugin.
The plugin will automatically check for an updated version once a month. The frequency of the "check for updates" can be set in the global settings or disabled entirely.
For a more in depth look at the development of the plugin and related discussions please visit the Medeek Forum.
Download previous versions of the plugin here.
WARNING: The Medeek Truss Plugin is currently under development. The user may encounter unintended behavior due to the addition of new features on a daily basis. Always backup your data to separate file names to provide redundancy in case of file corruption or other data loss scenarios.
If you have any questions or concerns about the Medeek Truss Plugin please call us at 1-425-652-4188.
Medeek Engineering extends a special thanks to the individuals, companies and organizations that continue to support us in the ongoing development of the Medeek SketchUp Extensions:
These sponsors provide an ongoing role in the development of the extensions and whose valuable suggestions often find their way into the various tools and features found within each extension/plugin.
Larry E. Belk Designs
A Certified Professional Designer with the American Institute of Building Design, Larry Belk has been active in the home building and design industry for over 30 years. In 1995, he was inducted into the College of Fellows of the AIBD the highest obtainable award of the Institute.
These sponsors have commited to providing a minimum $300.00 annual sponsorship to assist in the further development of the mdkBIM extension suite.
Contact us to have your company listed here.
These sponsors have commited to providing a minimum $200.00 annual sponsorship to assist in the further development of the mdkBIM extension suite.
Bob McCarter, the principle behind ClearPlan Modeling, has over three decades of on-site experience in custom home building combined with advanced skills in 3D modeling software. ClearPlan analyzes the project’s plans and details through this lens of experience and creates a dimensionally accurate three dimensional computer model which shows clearly the home and its major components, including civil, drainage, structural and MEPS.
Contact us to have your company listed here.
These sponsors have commited to providing a minimum $100.00 annual sponsorship to assist in the further development of the mdkBIM extension suite.
Sarah & Jacob Kirk offer interior and architectural design and specialize in new homes and kitchen & bathroom design. Their services include architectural design and drafting, interior design and decorating, site planning, and home modeling. For the last 15 years Sarah and Jacob Kirk have worked together doing design and build in the MD VA, and the DC Metro area. They now live and work in West Virginia providing design services for both new homes, vacation homes and cabins, and remodeling projects, and farmhouse rehabs.
Contact us to have your company listed here.
Copyright © 2011-2023 Medeek Design Inc.