Development and Updates for the Medeek Truss Plugin

Started by Medeek, November 07, 2015, 03:06:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Medeek

Outlookers enabled under advanced roof options for Monopitch and Attic truss types.

Nathaniel P. Wilkerson, P.E.

Medeek

Version 1.1.4 - 11.25.2015
Structural outlookers (vert. & horz.) enabled under advanced roof options for Common (Fink) truss type.
Structural outlookers (vert. & horz.) enabled under advanced roof options for Common (Fink) truss type with raised heel (vertical w/ strut).

Medeek

Version 1.1.5 - 11.25.2015
- Added Double Fink common truss type.
- Structural outlookers (vert. & horz.) enabled under advanced roof options for Common (Double Fink) truss type.

Medeek

Version 1.1.6 - 11.26.2015
- Added Fan and Mod Queen common truss types.
- Structural outlookers (vert. & horz.) enabled under advanced roof options for Common (Fan & Mod Queen) truss types.

Four more common truss types still need to be added:

- Double Howe (6/6)
- Mod Fan (8/4)
- Triple Fink (8/7)
- Triple Howe (8/8)

For very large buildings one could also consider:

- Quad Fan (10/5)
- Quad Fink (10/9)
- Quad Howe (10/10)
- Quin Fan (12/6) ...

A quad fink truss (10/9) with a raised heel (slider):

Medeek

Valley Sets are here:

Proceed with caution though I just put it together so it is still a bit rough around the edges.  Further testing and refinement is necessary but it seems to be working fairly decently.

Currently the main roof plane and two points need to be selected rather carefully I'm not sure I can do much about that, if not I will need to document in some detail how to use this function.

Medeek

I've addressed a few bugs with the valley set algorithm and tested it in as many configurations and orientations as possible.  It it more solid now.  I suggest downloading the latest version of 1.1.7 that I just uploaded to the server.

Note that the plane of the main roof that is selected needs to be a rectangular shape at the moment to properly register (1st point selected).  I usually just select the top face of one of the top chords of the trusses.  The second point should be at the centerline of the last truss of the secondary roof line and at the ridge (peak) of this truss, the third point is also at the ridge (peak) but at a point towards the main roof.  I really need to put the manual together to document this feature and how to use it, or at least a video. 

I also updated the geometry algorithm slightly so that it adds additional verts a 48" o/c when the valley trusses get too large.  This is keeping in line with standard practice on these types of valley sets.  I can also make this an input if someone requests that it be such.

Medeek

This update was not that complicated (valley sets) other than trying to figure out how to place the set based only on a plane and two points. Obtaining this information and then figuring out the math and code to compute the vertical distance between the bottom of the first valley truss where it rests on the main roof plane and the peak of the secondary roof line was the slightly painful part. The actual geometry of the valley set was surprisingly easy to code.

The real challenge will begin when I try to add some hip sets, I may push that out for awhile.

Medeek

Here is an example of a large valley set with a Monopitch Primary Roof and a Common Secondary Roof.  Notice the pitch of the monopitch roof is 6:12 while the secondary roof is 12:12.

Rather than calculate the overhang for the secondary roof it is just as easy to to trim the truss tails back and adjust the fascia so that it lines up with the fascia of the main roof after the fact.

Even with all the automation of certain tasks there is still a good bit of manual editing required when complex roof lines are involved however I find that SketchUp has a very intuitive interface for trimming solids and once the basic geometry is there the rest is usually not too much trouble.

Medeek

Medeek

Version 1.1.8 - 12.07.2015
- Added Gable Rafter Roof.
- Advanced options enabled for gable rafter roofs (sub-fascia, outlookers, sheathing, and rakeboards).
- New submenu item and toolbar icon added for rafter roof type.
- Plugin divided into multiple files for ease of management.

Structural outlookers for this type of a roof are still somewhat of a question.  If they are horizontal it makes sense to notch the gable rafter but what if they are vertical?

Medeek

Version 1.1.8 - 12.08.2015
- Structural Outlookers enabled for gable rafter roofs (vertical & horizontal).

Notice in this case I have left the gable rafter in place but notched clean through it, so essentially it is blocking.  However, I have also given the option for removing the gable rafter entirely.  You will also notice that the gable rafter is the same depth as the outlookers, when you choose "CUSTOM" for the gable end rafter it allows one to specify the depth of this rafter. 

When structural outlookers are used in a vertical orientation it is common practice to have them bear directly on the double top plate of the gable wall (balloon framed to roof).  If there is some configuration that is standard in your neck of the woods that I am missing please let me know.  I am currently providing three different configurations for the gable end rafters.

I think I am ready to now attack the gable rafter roof with glulam beam.

Medeek

Admittedly the user interface is still very rough around the edges.  One thing I've started working on is making the default values assume the last values inputted by the user.  The code is fairly simple but updating all of the different menus is tedious because I have quite a few truss types now.  This should make creating multiple truss sets in a document even quicker since parameters like roof pitch, overhangs and heel heights are typically the same for a given structure.

To test this functionality currently, download the latest version 1.1.8 and test the common truss types (Imperial Units).  I will be updating all menus so that this functionality is present.

Medeek

With regards to the configuration of the outlooker near the outside corner of the roof, to be perfectly honest I've actually never given it too much thought other than I've always seen it framed that way.  I suppose one could frame a diagonal outlooker to fully catch the corner but in that case then the other two would be cut short.  My theory is two fold:

1.)  The weight of the gutter and rainwater make the eave more heavily loaded.
2.)  The sub-fascia is being supported by the rafter tails which is turn is holding up the lower end of the barge board.  As such I would think one would want to provide support for the sub-fascia as close to the corner as possible.

The corner could probably be framed out either way, one of the boards ends up getting cut and does not provide much bending resistance.

Another thing worth noting is the rafter tails (with large rafters as shown) are usually trimmed to the bottom of the fascia or slightly higher and then a closed soffit is attached.  Since the rafters are components it is very easy to go in and make this trim cut to all the rafters so I leave it to the user to make this modification instead of another option.

On the same token the ridgeboard would probably be trimmed as well.  I need to look at that a little closer.

Medeek

I'm wondering with my rafter roof if I should provide an option to draw ceiling joists?

Medeek

Version 1.1.9 - 12.10.2015
- Added Gable Rafter Roof with Glulam Beam (all advanced options enabled).