News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Partially see through walls

Started by Irunfree, March 18, 2021, 06:51:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irunfree

I am trying different tools for rendering, from SketchUpFx, Podium, etc. Often the studs are coming through in the render, like with SketchUp FX just like they do in model. I mean the from a distant view you can see the outline of some of the framing through the siding or gypsum layers. Is there ny way to stop this or control their visibility? I have used 3d no-framing and that works, but that is a global setting for the model so if I go to a framing scene or something I lose the details I need.

Medeek

This seems to be an artifact with SketchUp.  However, a good rendering software should not allow the studs to show through one would think.
Nathaniel P. Wilkerson, P.E.

Irunfree

Yea, that drives me nuts in SketchUp, something with any thickness should not have edges from below show through....

I tried many things before posting, like turning off the framing layer but it didn't work. I just figured out that the insulation also creates edges inside the wall assembly, so with both of those layers off the lines do not come through the siding or drywall layers. In styles, I turn of profiles and all looks good, so that problem solved!

The only issue that remains is that I have two walls meeting that meet but the bottom plates are at different elevations, the siding texture does not line up. The bottom offset on both is lined up, it's just the texture starts from some other point on the assembly. Could it be changed or an option to have the texture start at the bottom or top of the assembly, so that could be a consistent point between walls that meet that might be different heights?

Irunfree

Just checking back because I am getting this issue a lot, is there a way to alter or offset the cladding to line up with adjacent walls?

Medeek

There is the manual option:

1.) Click into the group for the cladding.
2.) Click the face (exterior) that you want to manually edit.
3.) Apply the cladding material to this face.
4.) Right click on the face and mouse of "Texture", then selection "Position".
5.) User the red pin to position the image vertically on the face, this should allow you to fine tune the placement enough to make it match the other wall panels above or below the panel you are editing.

*Note:  Once you apply this manual edit any updates or edits to this wall panel will essentially reset the material on this face to the default position.

Medeek

It appears in the API there might be a way to position the face vertically:

https://ruby.sketchup.com/Sketchup/Face.html#position_material-instance_method

I will need to test this further and see if it is something I can implement.

Irunfree

Thank you for the update, perfect!!!  :)

But I ran into the issue on one of my latest models with the vertical batten siding, so maybe the same fix can be done for that offset? If not I will use that manual edit tip you posted. Everything I have been working on lately is many walls of different heights and types, and lots of clear story or ballon-framed walls meeting two-story walls, so lining things up is tricky. I am also working towards some more refined models so that I can post on the SU forum as you asked about in one of your other posts, working to do that by 4/15 (I just want them looking good!)

Medeek

The 3D board and batten siding is probably the one you are talking about.  I don't have a good solution on that one as far as seamless transitions between stacked walls yet.  I will need to give it some more thought.

I also just posted a model yesterday which demonstrates the material vertical offset parameter in practice for a couple of stacked walls.  I might have to make a tutorial for this feature but it does some fairly self explanatory to me.