News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Components and Medeek plugins

Started by Irunfree, April 08, 2021, 03:42:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irunfree

Would there be any issues with the way the plug-ins work to nest them inside of a component and reuse that component throughout a model? For instance, create a spread footer and pier, put it inside a component, and use it in multiple places. Then, if I need to make changes, I only have to edit that one footer, and not the others.

I'm finding I often am editing one element at a time which can be time-consuming and this may help. I know for walls, trusses, and other things that elements this would not work, but maybe it would for posts, beams, spread footers, switches, lights, and other elements typically installed one at a time. I could see doing this with light and switches in the electrical plug-in, so if the client changes to Decura switch style for instance I don't need to edit 30 switches one at a time.

I could try but I also don't know if I won't find out the consequences of doing that later on and I would have a lot of things to fix in the model. I have noticed that some Medeek items are already components and some are just groups, and I could see how nesting them in components and making more instances of those items could cause issues.

*On my wish list of additions to the plug-ins is the ability to edit multiple items at once. I am working on a 4000sf home right now with many walls and other features, and when I have to change something like the siding color or trim on a door, I have to do this one at a time, and there is a chance I would have to do it all again. I would love to be able to select multiple similar items at a time and have an "edit multiple" that lets the users edit properties that are shared between those items.

Medeek

Honestly I'm not entirely sure if this will work, I've never actually tried it.

I would think you would be fine.  Just remember to edit the assembly you need to be inside of the component or group that it is nested inside.
Nathaniel P. Wilkerson, P.E.

Medeek

The "Wall Copy" tool is the easiest method to copy properties between walls.  I think this is what you are looking for in regard to your second questions/feature request.
Nathaniel P. Wilkerson, P.E.

Irunfree

So far no issues but I have only tried to use it with nesting footers inside of a component.

The wall copy tool is brilliant, I over looked that tool for far too long!