Development and Updates for the Medeek Electrical Plugin

Started by Medeek, January 24, 2019, 03:46:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Medeek

After some further digging about on the internet I really only came upon three or four reference documents for UK outlet symbols.  Based on those examples here are my proposed symbols:

Please provide feedback or suggestions.

I planning on using the abbreviation "SW" for switched since I am trying to keep the length of the text in the legend to a manageable length, or I could spell it out in full.

There will probably be other outlet types (ie. fused outlets or connector outlets), but this is all I have for now.
Nathaniel P. Wilkerson, P.E.

Medeek

Version 1.1.8 - 08.15.2020
- Enabled the Draw Outlet (UK) tool with the following outlets types (MK Logic Plus): unswitched, switched, switched w/ USB, weatherproof, blank.
- Added preview thumbnails to the draw and edit menus of the UK outlet tool.
- Added UK outlet (2D) symbols to the Legend tool.

Medeek

Medeek

Medeek

Version 1.1.9 - 09.10.2020
- Added optional metadata parameters for outlets: description, circuit.

Medeek

Custom Wiring Feature:

I've been getting some requests for the ability to add in wiring.

After giving this some additional thought I think I can add in a rudimentary wiring module that will allow the user to create their own wire types.  The basic parameters would be:

1.) Name:  NM-B_14/3, NM-B_8/3 etc...
2.) Shape: RND or RECT
3.) Dia.
4.) Width
5.) Depth
6.) Color
7.) Bend Radius

Medeek

The second toolbar will include a new icon for wiring:

Additionally the wiring assemblies will not be embedded into any other assemblies (ie. wall, roof, floor etc...), this way they can be edited and regenerated.  I will have two context menu items for wiring assemblies: edit and regen.

The edit function will allow you to switch from one wire type to another as well as use the built in (SketchUp) move tool to alter or modify the path of the wire.  The wire path will be on a separate (hidden or system) layer and the wiring will also have its own layer.

The actual wire (solid) will be a group within the wiring assembly.  The wire path will be a locus of edges within the wiring assembly.  When the wiring assembly is regenerated the solid group will be deleted and redrawn whereas the wire path (edges) will not be modified. 

Medeek

The bend radius is the parameter that is the most unique feature of this tool.  One could easily use a tool like profile builder to generate the wiring but with the bend radius the tool will introduce another level of complexity. 

In some cases the line segment(s) will be too short to allow for the bend to occur, in these cases the radius will not be applied, the segments will simply be followed as is.

The wire types can be configured in the global settings of the plugin.

Medeek

First look at the Custom Wire Library tab in the global settings:

Medeek

Version 1.2.0 - 10.11.2020
- Added a "Refresh Licensee Data" button within the License tab of the Global Settings.

Medeek

Version 1.2.1 - 10.14.2020
- Added a Custom Wire Library to the Global Settings which allows user defined rectangular or circular cross section wires/cables/conduit.
- Enabled the Wiring Tool with three additional context menu functions: Edit Wire Assembly, Regen Wire Assembly, Edit Wire Path.
- Added a 4th dimensioning layer specifically for wire callouts in the Layers tab of the Global Settings.
- Added the following parameters to the General tab of the Global Settings: Wire Label Callout, Wire Label Prefix, Circle Segments.

I think I need a few additional tools to round out this wiring module and make it more intuitive and efficient to use:

- Move Segment Tool (rather than having to edit the wire path directly)
- Integrate the Estimating tool with the wiring statistics

Medeek

For round wires I have the "circle segment" parameter which allows ones to decrease the number of segments in order to keep the polycount down in the model.

The draw tool needs a feature or switch which allows one to simply select a pre-drawn polyline (of edges) rather than picking points.

Medeek

Version 1.2.1b - 10.15.2020
- Draw Wire Tool input extended to two options: Points, Edges

Tutorial 5 - Wiring (11:15 min.)

Medeek

Just for fun I created some "wire" sizes at your typical HVAC duct sizes and then laid out some geometry (polylines) with the help of the SketchUp grid extension:

The only thing I could not draw with the wire tool was the rectangular reducer shown in blue.

HVAC (duct work) is fairly straight forward in my opinion however there needs to be a few more specific parts and pieces in order to terminate and make transitions.  So there would need to be a separate tool (and library) for common size reducers, boots and grilles.

I'm not really an HVAC (mechanical engineer), I've done a little work in the field about 15 years ago while doing some contract work at BYU, but then again I'm not an electrician either and look how far this plugin has come.  I guess it just takes some interest and a desire to learn, but I do think HVAC is a bit more involved than Electrical.

Medeek

Version 1.2.2 - 10.16.2020
- Added a "2d Symbols Only" parameter into the General tab of the Global Settings.
- Enabled the "2d Symbols Only" mode for the following electrical elements: Outlets, Switches.

Yet another update per customer requests.  A number of users only want to use the plugin to show the 2D electrical symbols rather than drawing the 3D electrical components (and the symbols).  (Technically one could achieve pretty much the same result by turning off the electrical rough and finish layers.) 

The new 2D symbols only mode will allow this mode wherein only the 2D symbols are drawn.  Note, that I have only enabled this feature for outlets and switches thus far and I will need to extend that functionality to all other electrical elements (ie. fans, data outlets, floor outlets, panels etc...)

The nice thing about this bimodal system is that all of the regular data is being stored for each electrical component in the model (attribute library) so one can switch between modes mid-stream without any problems if necessary.