News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Using 2D in Scenes

Started by Earthenhome, February 16, 2021, 07:16:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Earthenhome

Hey there,

I am currently drafting my first design with this tool and it has been wonderful so far. I am at the point to turn my model into construction documents and wanted to use the 2D feature to make a floor plan. I made a scene specifically for a floor plan and reduced the walls to their 2D dimension, but upon doing that, all of my scenes now had the walls in 2D form. Is there a way around this I am not seeing? I'm fairly new to using sketch up in this way, so any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Andy

Medeek

Don't change all of your walls to 2D, leave them as 3D and in the global settings (General Tab), turn on the "2D Geometry in 3D".  This will allow you to have both and then in your scenes you can show whichever is necessary.
Nathaniel P. Wilkerson, P.E.

Irunfree

Using parallel projection and top down view, I turned off all the tags except "wall_symbol" and "wall_2d" and that gives a basic floor plan which it nice because you can create a scene for this and not use section cuts.

But there a few things that would need to change to look like a traditional floor plan, like the intersecting line where walls meet and the wall lines through the door opening. I turned on "remove wall lines" in the global settings that removed the intersecting lines where wall meets, but that leaves the 3D view of the walls without the lines it needs.

Is there any tweaks to using the plugin to easily get a traditional 2D floor plan? I have tried a variation of tag visibility, section cut and styles, but haven't gotten it to work yet.

Medeek

Quote from: Irunfree on March 25, 2021, 03:37:27 AM
Using parallel projection and top down view, I turned off all the tags except "wall_symbol" and "wall_2d" and that gives a basic floor plan which it nice because you can create a scene for this and not use section cuts.

But there a few things that would need to change to look like a traditional floor plan, like the intersecting line where walls meet and the wall lines through the door opening. I turned on "remove wall lines" in the global settings that removed the intersecting lines where wall meets, but that leaves the 3D view of the walls without the lines it needs.

Is there any tweaks to using the plugin to easily get a traditional 2D floor plan? I have tried a variation of tag visibility, section cut and styles, but haven't gotten it to work yet.

Can you post a couple screen shots showing the issues, I will certainly give this some thought and see if I can come up with a solution.
Nathaniel P. Wilkerson, P.E.