Development and Updates for the Medeek Wall Plugin

Started by Medeek, March 04, 2017, 08:59:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Medeek

Just loaded up SU 2022 Pro on my PC and promptly installed all of the plugins.

So far I'm not seeing any issues running 2022 with any of plugins, of course far more testing is required but so far so good.
Nathaniel P. Wilkerson, P.E.

Medeek

Version 2.7.1 - 01.27.2022
- Converted the door preset system to a Hash data structure.
- Converted the garage door preset system to a Hash data structure.

!!! WARNING !!!
This update will require deleting and recreating any door and/or garage door presets. This update will not affect any other preset types (ie. walls, windows, etc...)

Medeek

Version 2.7.2 - 01.31.2022
- Fixed a bug with the window preset system within the window edit menu.

!!!!Alert!!!!
This bug existed within the window edit menu when creating a new window preset.  Any window presets created prior to this bug fix may need to be manually removed from the window preset config file.  This can be easily done by editing the file with any basic text editor (ie. Notepad).

Properly configured window presets will begin with the following character string "b1=".  If the preset does not have this specific string followed by a number (the preset number) it is corrupt and should be deleted from the preset file.

In Microsoft Windows the presets are found here:

C:\Users\%Username%\AppData\Roaming\Medeek\2022\medeek_wall_ext\presets

The window preset file is named:

WINDOW_PRESETS.txt

Medeek

Version 2.7.3 - 02.01.2022
- Added casing "Style D" for rectangle doors (Victorian style casing with plinths and rosettes).
- Added casing "Style D" for rectangle windows (Victorian style casing with rosettes).

This is a low-poly version of a Victorian style casing.  The details in the rosettes and plinth blocks are missing and the typical fluting in the jamb and header are also missing.

Medeek

Version 2.7.4 - 02.03.2022
- Added two additional (advanced framing) layers: Bottom Plate, Header 2.
- Added an option for the cutting of bottom plates for doors and garage doors.

The "Cut Bottom Plates" option by default is turned on (YES), however when it is turned off then the bottom plates are not cut out for door and garage doors.  This is useful for wall panel manufacturers who would rather leave the bottom plates intact for shipping/transportation and other reasons.

The "Header 2" layer is specifically for the sheathing placed between the lumber of spaced headers:

Medeek

Version 2.7.5 - 02.06.2022
- Added casing "Style E" for rectangle windows (Victorian style casing with rosettes).
- Fixed a bug related to upgrades introduced in Version 2.6.8 specifically for CMU and "No Framing" walls.

!!!! Critical Fix !!!!
If you are using CMU walls or the "No Framing" option, this update is a critical fix for doors and garage doors.  Please update your plugin to this latest version.  Always remember to first uninstall the existing version first before installing the updated plugin within the Extension Manager in SketchUp.

Style E is another common variant of the Victorian style of casing that I thought would be a good addition and complete the recent window and door casing upgrades to the plugin.  Again my objective here is to provide a low poly version to represent the overall configuration rather than all of the minute details of such a typically ornate window treatment.

Medeek

Version 2.7.6 - 02.07.2022
- Added casing "Style F" for rectangle doors.
- Added casing "Style F" for rectangle windows.
- Enabled a VTP (very top plate) Offset option for rectangular walls.

The VTP offset allows for more manual control of the "very top plate" and how it overshoots or undershoots the wall on either end (start and/or end of the wall panel).  In order to use this parameter the "Trim Top Plate" must be set to "NO" (ie. manual mode is then enabled), and then either a positive or negative length can be entered which will offset the VTP accordingly as shown.

This feature was specifically requested by wall panel manufacturers so that they could more closely control the overlapping of the top plates in their shop models and construction drawings.

*Note that Trim Top Plate and VTP Offset options are currently only active for rectangular walls.

P.S.
I thought that I could just use the Corner Offset parameter to control the VTP however it doesn't really work when dealing with inset (outside or inside) walls, since that parameter in those cases actually controls the extension of the bottom plate.  So I needed yet another parameter to independently control the VTP.  I'm sure this is a clear as mud.

Medeek

When I enabled custom headers for Windows I didn't realize that at the same time I inadvertently had disabled the option for "NO" (NONE) header. I will reinstate that option for all openings with the next update:

Medeek

Version 2.7.7 - 02.08.2022
- Added a "NO" header option for windows, doors and garage doors.
- Fixed a bug with ladder blocking when the stud offset is non-zero.
- Fixed a minor bug with ladder blocking for hip walls.

Medeek

I've had quite a few requests for a tool that will draw circular walls however I need to wrap my head around the geometry and some of the issues that arise when you curve the entire wall (or partial arc) like this:

As you can see things get a bit interesting when you introduce windows and doors into a tightly curved wall.  In particular notice how the window opening is framed normally (no curve) and the cripple stud in the middle of this opening is problematic.  So how does one handle this?  The problem really is how to frame a straight opening like a window or a door into a curved wall.

View model here:

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/be8c86f0-54f5-44fe-b44f-cba619b3b12f/Circular-Wall-Study-1

Before I can make this a functioning tool I need to iron out some of these details in a rational manner.

Medeek

Version 2.7.8 - 02.11.2022
- Enabled staggered studs for rectangular walls.

Rather than enable yet another parameter and make the menu that much bigger I decided to utilize the "Stud Ply" parameter to toggle this option.  If you set the stud ply to "0", you will get a staggered stud wall as shown.

View model here:

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/2e11b81e-5052-4807-8fb5-e711723b97ba/Staggered-Stud-Wall

Medeek

Version 2.7.8b - 02.14.2022
- Enabled staggered stud walls within the Copy Wall tool.

Tutorial 27- Staggered Stud Walls (15:09 min.)

Medeek

Version 2.7.9 - 02.16.2022
- Fixed a bug with vertically offset doors and garage doors in the "No Framing" mode.
- Fixed a bug with (arched) half or full glass doors that have a prairie or perimeter grilles installed.

Some minor fixes but annoying little bugs nonetheless, one was just a simple typo that has been waiting to be found for months.  Highly recommend updating to this latest version if only to make these two bugs go away.  A big thank-you to the user base who finds these bugs and notifies me so that I can address them.

Medeek

Version 2.8.0 - 02.19.2022
- Enabled insulation within the preview menu of the estimating module.

The insulation was already part of the CSV file output however I had not added it to the preview screen. 

This update was per customer request.

Medeek

Tutorial 28 - Estimating Preview (12:02 min.)

I'm still not entirely sure what direction I am going to take the estimating module but much work remains to be done.