Development and Updates for the Medeek Wall Plugin

Started by Medeek, March 04, 2017, 08:59:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saakejam

This is terrific work!  Can't thank you enough!  The addition of CMU and its engineering modules is a huge feature.
Will keep in touch... Thank you again Nathan.

Jim S

Medeek

Quote from: saakejam on July 25, 2018, 04:51:27 AM
This is terrific work!  Can't thank you enough!  The addition of CMU and its engineering modules is a huge feature.
Will keep in touch... Thank you again Nathan.

Jim S

I need to add a few parameters into the global settings under the Walls tab to make this feature more accessible and functional, expect 0.8.9b in a short while that we address these issues.
Nathaniel P. Wilkerson, P.E.

Medeek

Version 0.8.9b - 07.25.2018
- Stud/Wall Depth and Width parameters added to the Walls tab of the Global Settings.

For CMU walls you will want to disable the standard stud sizes and then specify the wall/stud width (ie. 7.625") with the Walls tab of the global settings.  Also set the framing mode to "CMU" if desired. 

When creating the walls one would probably turn off the advanced wall options since gypsum, sheathing, trim and cladding are usually not needed for this wall type but if required all of the options are available for this wall type as well.

One additional note to add is that if you are upgrading the plugin and currently using the layers feature you will want to open up the layers tab of the global settings, so as to reinitialize the layers.  I've added an additional layer option for CMU block.

Medeek

Version 0.8.9c - 07.26.2018
- Added double, triple and quad casement windows to the window draw and edit modules.
- Resolved a bug in the window and door attribute library modules.

I'm not sure if the callouts are really visible with this image but they are formatted like so:

(3) 2040CSMT  (for the 3 lite 6040 window)

This update is per customer request.

View model here:

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/05ae80f6-3945-43a7-8c59-a773380f1ce1/Window-Test-7

I've also been thinking quite a bit about integration with other plugins and how I can best facilitate that plugin-to-plugin communication.

My first thought is that the under the hood structure of the wall is actually fully exposed already and can be modified with any other third party plugin.  Everything required to build the wall is contained within the attribute library of the wall panel group (outermost container).  I will be publishing a specification which delineates each value and position within the attribute library so other plugin authors can easily obtain or set this information as required and have an exact understanding of what each parameter is.

I will also be assembling an API so that another plugin author can cut holes in the walls for openings (windows and doors) and also rebuild the wall panels etc...  I'm not exactly sure on all of the details yet but hopefully this will make the plugin more accessible to other plugin authors and allow for better integration.

Medeek

A couple of segmental arches and a quinto acuto and equilateral gothic arch:

Selecting either an arch or gothic arch geometry will enable the "Window Arch Radius" parameter as shown in the edit window menu above.

Medeek

Arched window openings now have exterior trim and wainscoting enabled:

For those interested this is the underlying equations that I'm using to calculate a gothic arch:

Notice that the center of the arch is at the same height as the springline but the lateral placement of the center of the arch is driven by the radius since the arch is tangent to the vertical .  A classic quinto acuto gothic arch has a radius that is 4/5 of the width of the opening, whereas an equilateral arch will be radius = width.

Medeek

These arched windows and their grilles (Prairie Style shown) were a bit more than I was wanting to bite off when I started into them this morning but perseverance won over in the end and I finally got them sorted out:

The half round springline window is created by setting the radius to half the window opening.

Also note that only the picture or fixed window type is available for the arch and gothic arch geometry.

I still need to work on shutters for these window types but that is a job for another day.

View model here:

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/03ca029f-e028-4171-85cd-a336eba4ac10/Window-Test-8

Medeek

Version 0.9.0 - 08.03.2018
- Added gothic and segmental arched windows to the window draw and edit modules.
- Added shutters: Solid, Flat Panel, Raised Panel, Louver, Board & Batten to arched and gothic arch windows.

View model here:

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/717611a9-f02a-477b-863f-4c0fa04e9247/Window-Test-9

Medeek

The arch/gothic arch window rabbit hole was very deep:

Ext. Trim and Shutter (Left)

Interior Casing

Interior Casing Options

Adding a new window type now entails the following additional features that must all be considered:

1.) Exterior Trim (Style A, Style B)
2.) Interior Casing/Trim (Style A, Style B, Style C)
3.) Window frame, casing and glass (window geometry will dictate if additional styles can be created for that geometry in addition to the standard fixed window).
4.) Window Grille (ten different grille configurations currently)
5.) Shutters (five different shutter types currently in three different configurations)

Some window types will also involve additional parameters due to asymmetry or other special features.

The trapezoid or triangular window may also involve a pitched header will further complicate matters with wall framing.

Medeek

Version 0.9.0b - 08.03.2018
- Enabled all interior casing styles (Style A, Style B, and Style C) for gothic and arch windows.

Medeek

Today and yesterday I'm taking a much needed break from plugin programming to address my new reseller program.  I am still fleshing out the way I want this to work but I think it will be a good thing, allowing me to focus on the code while more talented individuals are able to drive the sales end of things.

Medeek

Just an FYI there is a known issue with stacking walls right now (multi-level structures), funny that this did not show up previously.  I am currently working on it and should have a new revision in a few hours that hopefully addresses it fully. 

The issue is with the auto-corner configuration, apparently the algorithm is detecting walls on different levels when it should only be detecting the walls within a specified vertical range (on the same level).

I think I've got my head back in the game now after a short hiatus from the code.

Currently the three hot development items are:

1.)  New HTML menu/draw tool
2.)  Gable Walls
3.)  Garage Door Module

I'm also excited to report that the new reseller system is live and ready to go.  I am currently recruiting resellers so please contact me directly if you are interested.  I haven't determined the number of resellers or if there will be a specific limit however I am looking for people with diverse backgrounds and people who are passionate about promoting SketchUp as a primary architectural design tool for residential and commercial design.

Medeek

Version 0.9.0c - 08.08.2018
- Critical fix to the auto-corner configuration module which addresses a bug with multi-story construction.

If you are doing multi-story construction with the plugin you will want to download and install this fix immediately.

Medeek

Version 0.9.0d - 08.09.2018
- Added logic so that callouts for stacked windows are properly cascaded.

Note that there is still an issue with stacking windows in the full framing mode.  The plugin will not throw any errors (within the ruby console) but I will need to add some additional logic to properly frame up the cripple studs between windows, if any are required.  Also the algorithm for the trimmer studs will require some modifications.

Initially I did not foresee stacked windows but they do seem to be quite common so they have become a high priority.

View model here:

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/33f30348-1e8d-4e6b-9c4a-1a313103ef30/Window-Test-12

Medeek

Looking at this screenshot one would think I am attempting to edit a wall panel however if you look a little closer you will notice that I am actually drawing a wall panel:

The HTML draw menu (Graphical UI Option) is almost ready to release.  I have a bit more testing to do and some additional javascript logic to add to the HTML itself and then I think it will ready for prime time. 

I think everyone will find this is a much quicker and easier way to create wall panels than the legacy (non-GUI) method.  However, for those who prefer the old menu system that will still be available by setting the graphical UI option in the global settings (General tab) to "NO".

The other upside will be the ability to select from your presets rather than having to edit the wall panel after the fact.

Pressing the spacebar will exit out of the draw wall menu and tool, as is usual for SketchUp tools.

Pressing the ESC key on Windows will exit the current wall panel polyline and allow the user to start a new series of wall panel(s).

Clicking the Update button will update the draw tool with the parameters shown in the menu and allow the user to change things up mid-stream during the creation of wall panel(s).

I am hoping that this will be a big usability improvement for the plugin and make it quite a bit more efficient.