Development and Updates for the Medeek Foundation Plugin

Started by Medeek, July 04, 2016, 12:45:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Medeek

Version 1.3.9 - 08.30.2019
- Added an option for additional horizontal bars in the draw and edit menus for polyline stemwall foundations.

Now we just need a few more options that will allow for vertical bars.
Nathaniel P. Wilkerson, P.E.

jslomka100

Nathan,
I hope you daughter's recovery is going well and she is keeping her spirits up. I'm new to the Medeek Forum and a new user of the Medeek BIM tools. I'm in the process of modeling my house in SKetchup 2017 make (I'm not a professional contractor or designer, just a home owner having some fun with Sketchup. I would like to know if the Medeek Foundation plug-in can do a stepped foundation where the foundation floor is level and the foundation walls are stepped based on grade of lot (walk out basement) I've attached a pic of what I would like to be able to replicate. I've noticed you are working on stepped foundations for crawl space type foundations but I did not see a stepped foundation for a walkout basement type of foundation. It may be that I'm just not familiar with how to combine the different types of foundations to create the type of foundation pictured in the attachment. Any help would be appreciated.

Medeek

Quote from: jslomka100 on August 31, 2019, 09:20:40 AM
Nathan,
I hope you daughter's recovery is going well and she is keeping her spirits up. I'm new to the Medeek Forum and a new user of the Medeek BIM tools. I'm in the process of modeling my house in SKetchup 2017 make (I'm not a professional contractor or designer, just a home owner having some fun with Sketchup. I would like to know if the Medeek Foundation plug-in can do a stepped foundation where the foundation floor is level and the foundation walls are stepped based on grade of lot (walk out basement) I've attached a pic of what I would like to be able to replicate. I've noticed you are working on stepped foundations for crawl space type foundations but I did not see a stepped foundation for a walkout basement type of foundation. It may be that I'm just not familiar with how to combine the different types of foundations to create the type of foundation pictured in the attachment. Any help would be appreciated.

The upcoming step tool and polyline tool should be able to model this foundation.  My only problem might be the steps that are shown that terminate at the corners, I will need to think about these more.

Medeek

Version 1.3.9b - 08.31.2019
- Added an option for vertical bars in the draw and edit menus for polyline stemwall foundations.

View model here:

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/086fa437-c1fa-410d-8969-9540fa909302/Stemwall-with-Horz-and-Vert-Rebar

The top of the vertical rebar is 3" below the top of the stemwall and extends into the footing by half the footing depth.

These various foundation assemblies are starting to rival the wall and truss plugins assemblies in complexity and details, exciting stuff.

I still need to work on a module that will allow for brick ledges on stemwalls as well as another module for adding in windows and doors.  A CMU option would also be nice.  No matter how hard I work on this stuff it always seems like there is more, its a moving target I guess. 

Medeek

Version 1.3.9c - 09.01.2019
- Enabled rebar for stemwall steps (top step only).
- Added an option for additional horizontal and vertical bars in the draw and edit menus for stemwall steps.

I rolled the revision a little early since I noticed there was a bug in the edit function for stemwall steps.  If you've recently installed 1.3.9b, I would highly recommend updating to this latest version.

I just need to work out the rebar for the other two step configurations and then rebar is complete.

I will then attack anchor bolts next, then the drain pipe and then the FPSF insulation.  I will probably leave the vents disabled for now or at least until someone gives me more feedback on how they would like to see this configured.

The nice thing with the rebar is that you still have the option to install top and/or bottom bar with or without the horizontal bar, so lots of design permutations.

Medeek

Version 1.3.9d - 09.02.2019
- Enabled rebar for stemwall steps (bottom step and double step).

Rebar was a bit a of a pain especially the double step, the rest of the advanced options should be relatively simple comparatively.

Medeek

First look at stemwall steps with drain pipe:

View model here:

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/28d6d875-9680-4108-99c0-bb2add7c511e/Drain-Pipes-with-Step-Foundation

I don't know why but just looking at this model makes me very happy.  I guess I've been trying to do this sort of thing with foundations since I began programming the foundation plugin about three years ago and I am now finally arriving at a viable solution.

Note, that the hide edges option will hide the concrete lines at the end of each assembly and the entire foundation will appear as monolithic.  I have not enabled this option in this model because I want to show the three different steps types distinctly.

Medeek

First look at that stemwall steps with FPSF insulation:

Not sure if an additional piece of insulation should be added at the actual step, any thoughts on that?

View model here:

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/e41f6782-d058-4743-a402-9dd6eded3b99/Stemwall-Steps-FPSF-Insulation

Medeek

Version 1.4.0 - 09.02.2019
- Enabled drain pipe for stemwall steps.
- Enabled FPSF insulation for stemwall steps.
- Enabled anchor bolts for stemwall steps.

The stemwall step tool is complete

Again the only thing missing is the vents option (which I have disabled for now).  I will give this some more thought and address it as soon as I have a practical solution.

The next item of business is the interior bearing tool/module which will allow for linear interior bearing assemblies (ie. post-and-beam, stud wall, CMU etc...)  I'm very familiar with the first two systems however I'm not so familiar with how CMU interior bearings are typically constructed.  Any information would be helpful.

This next module is very simple and I hope to complete it within 3-4 days.  Then back to the quest for the holy grail of the Truss plugin... Complex Roofs.

Medeek

Parameters for the new Interior Bearing Module:

Basic Options:

Bearing Type: Post and Beam, Stud Wall, CMU
Bearing Height:
Footing Width:
Footing Depth:
Ftg. Offset Start:
Ftg. Offset End:
Sill Plate Offset:
Stemwall Offset:
Rebar Option: Yes/No

Post and Beam Options:

Beam Width:
Beam Depth:
Post Spacing:
Post Width:

Stud Wall Options:

Stud Depth:
Stud Width:
Stud Spacing:
Top Plate Qty: 1,2,3
Top Plate Thk.:

Rebar Options:

Ftg. Bar Dia.:
Ftg. Bar Qty.:

Let me know if I'm missing anything.  I haven't included a section for CMU yet since I need to do more research on that particular construction type.

Medeek

Version 1.4.1 - 09.04.2019
- Enabled the "Draw Interior Bearing" tool with the following support types: Post & Beam, Stud Wall.

View model here:

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/61392187-486a-474e-a7cd-7cfd08753c5d/Interior-Bearing-Tool

Now a video demonstrating the polyline stemwall, interior bearing and step tool all working together would be interesting.

Medeek

I would like to add a CMU interior footing/bearing variant but I am not finding any good details online. Does anyone have a preferred detail showing an interior bearing constructed with CMU?

Medeek

Tutorial 6 - Polyline Stemwalls, Steps and Interior Bearings (13:27 min.):

View model here:

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/b0a41dfb-0a18-4468-9995-3f15cb2130d0/Tutorial-6-Polyline-Stemwall-Steps-and-Interior-Bearings

Medeek

There has been some call to provide a CMU option for the polyline stemwall module.  In order to represent CMU my intent was to not alter the model but just apply the appropriate material/texture as I am doing with the Wall plugin.  However this method only really works with linear sections of walls (at least for the faces parallel to the Z plane):

As you can see from the image/model the vertical faces come out just fine however the horizontal faces are a bit of a mess.  I really don't want to change up the way I'm modeling the stemwall itself (ie. breaking it into linear segments) so the solution might be to simply provide a more generic material for the horizontal faces without any of the brick interior design, mortar lines etc...  thoughts?  It would look not quite as realistic when looking at the top of the CMU wall but it also wouldn't appear as confusing as the result shown here.

Medeek

Medeek Live Training: Session 1

Scheduled time is 11:00 PST

This is my first attempt at live streaming so hopefully things go smoothly but I'm sure it will be a bit of a learning experience.  The primary topics covered will be the recent additions to the foundation plugin however I am willing to open it up to other questions about all of the other plugins.