Author Topic: Development and Updates for the Medeek Wall Plugin  (Read 15854 times)

Offline Medeek

• Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
    • Medeek Design Inc.
Re: Development and Updates for the Medeek Wall Plugin
« Reply #345 on: October 17, 2018, 04:24:36 pm »
Here is a first look at the gable wall matrix:

The rabbit hole is going to get really deep.  I am initially concentrating on the standard gable wall and then onto the shed wall.

Some of these wall types will also require a mirrored version (just another parameter in the wall menus).

Note, that a triangular wall is nothing more than a degenerate gable wall where the wall height is zero at the start and end of the wall.  A shed wall with the lower wall set to zero height is a right triangle.  The same sort of logic can be applied to all the other various wall heights shown.

Things get a little interesting when you start moving these type of walls or walls that are adjacent to these walls (attached at the corners).  Each wall type may require its own special auto-corner configuration algorithms.  As long as I keep things modular all of this complexity shouldn't be too big of a problem.
Nathaniel P. Wilkerson, P.E.

Offline Medeek

• Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
    • Medeek Design Inc.
« Reply #346 on: October 18, 2018, 02:26:25 am »
Affiliate Program Announcement:

I am actively looking for affiliates to help promote the plugin(s).  I have already setup an affiliate system for the Wall Plugin within my billing system.

For those of you who have a website or some other means of marketing and would be interested in providing a link (to the plugins) on your website or by some other means, please feel free to contact me at nathan@medeek.com or 425-652-4188.

Offline Medeek

• Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
    • Medeek Design Inc.
« Reply #347 on: October 18, 2018, 06:53:35 am »
As I was going down through the list this morning and my notes I've also noticed that there has been quite a demand for multiple layer gypsum walls (firewalls).

To do this I would need to create a new attribute library folder which basically means that this would break backward compatibility of the plugin again.

Under the advanced options I would add in a new parameter called:

Advanced Gypsum Options:  Yes or No

Then under a new heading:

Advanced Gypsum Options:

Interior Layers:  0, 1, 2
Int. 1 Thickness:  in or mm
Int. 1 Material:  (utilize materials from Material Manager as well as one default built in material)
Int. 2 Thickness:  in or mm
Int. 2 Material:  (utilize materials from Material Manager as well as one default built in material)

Exterior Layers:  0, 1, 2
Ext. 1 Thickness:  in or mm
Ext. 1 Material:  (utilize materials from Material Manager as well as one default built in material)
Ext. 2 Thickness:  in or mm
Ext. 2 Material:  (utilize materials from Material Manager as well as one default built in material)

A total of eleven new parameters.  Let me know your thoughts on this, is there a better way to present these options or somehow condense this information into a simpler form?

Since the user can specify the material independently for each layer (4 different layers) its possible to use other materials other than gypsum (ie. tile, cement board, OSB, Plywood, cedar paneling etc...)

For example one could install a layer of foam under a layer of gypsum or OSB under the gypsum or any other possible combination.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 08:38:36 am by Medeek »

Offline Medeek

• Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
    • Medeek Design Inc.
« Reply #348 on: October 18, 2018, 02:07:08 pm »
Version 0.9.8d - 10.18.2018
- Created the gable wall matrix selector for the new gable wall module.
- Added the ability to wrap beams with gypsum and updated the beam menus with this new feature.

*** WARNING ***

This update will break backward compatibility for beams created in previous versions of the plugin.

Note that the material used to wrap the beams can be chosen from the custom materials so technically any material can utilized.

The start offset and end offset allow the designer to pull back the wrap any specified amount to allow for beam pocketing or in the case where the beam extends beyond the wall to the exterior of the building.

The wrap covers the sides and bottom of the beam.  Thickness can also be specified as shown above.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 03:47:03 pm by Medeek »

Offline Medeek

• Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
    • Medeek Design Inc.
« Reply #349 on: October 18, 2018, 04:04:42 pm »
This screenshot shows an application where the gypsum offset comes into play:

Note the 18" offset from the end of the beam. Also note the use of the miter cut and the notching out of the gypsum, sheathing and cladding (advanced options for the column with beam pocket).

Surprisingly there is quite a lot going on here even though the geometry looks relatively simple.

Offline Medeek

• Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
    • Medeek Design Inc.
« Reply #350 on: October 19, 2018, 12:24:15 pm »
Per user requests I've enabled an additional parameter for windows so that you can assign a manufacturer to the installed windows (door also coming soon).  Note that the window geometry itself is not manufacturer specific but is controlled by the users preferences.

In the near future I will also be creating a window and door preset feature so various options can be pre-configured.

If manufacturer's logos are enabled in the Material tab of the Global Settings and a manufacturer is assigned then the plugin will affix a label to the window in order to quickly and easily identify the window manufacturer:

The label is actually its own group/face on the dimension 3 layer and can be toggled by turning this layer on or off.

In the future it might be useful to enable a tool that allows one to switch all of the windows and door from one manufacturer to another with the single click of a button.  If a cost database is setup for the various manufacturers then the estimating module can create comparative cost estimates depending on the manufacture of the fenestration.

I've initially added the following manufacturers/brands:

Pella, Milgard, Marvin, Integrity, Plygem, Jeld-Wen, Alside, Andersen, Atrium, Harvey, MI, PGT, Simonton, YKK-AP

The label is constrained to a square 8"x8" and offsets the window glass by 0.125 so that it does not z-fight with the window glass.

Please send me any window and door manufacturers that you would like to see added to the plugin.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 06:36:46 pm by Medeek »