Author Topic: Development and Updates for the Medeek Truss Plugin  (Read 367633 times)

Offline Medeek

• Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
    • Medeek Design Inc.
Re: Development and Updates for the Medeek Truss Plugin
« Reply #750 on: July 31, 2020, 11:15:18 am »
Version 2.7.7 - 07.31.2020
- Fixed a bug with all assemblies when auto-assignment of materials is turned off in the global settings.
Nathaniel P. Wilkerson, P.E.

Offline Medeek

• Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
    • Medeek Design Inc.
« Reply #751 on: August 16, 2020, 02:23:29 pm »
I've been giving some serious thought to the estimating module the last couple of days as I regroup and review my various todo lists.

I would like to spend a few days and update the estimating module to include rafter roofs.  However, as I think about rafters and their lengths I am wondering what length exactly are we talking about?  Do we want the actual (longest length of the member) or do we want a horizontal projection of the length?  Typically both the top and bottom of a rafter has a bevel cut or even a compound bevel cut.

The ridge board on the other hand is very simple (generally).  There are no beveled end cuts so things are straight forward.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 03:21:53 pm by Medeek »

Offline Medeek

• Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
    • Medeek Design Inc.
« Reply #752 on: September 12, 2020, 08:53:24 am »
In a nutshell this is the basic algorithm for the rafter module for complex roofs:

Of course the devil is the details and there are a lot of details missing in this picture.

The overall picture seems simple enough however there are a number of special cases where rafters align with ridge boards and the over simplistic boolean subtraction algorithm will not suffice.  I will need to try and account for all of those special cases.

The offset is a factor of the ridgeboard, hip rafter, valley rafter or flying hip rafter width.  However, as you can see in the detail below when the roof planes are not the same (asymmetric) the offset will not be symmetric and must be calculated, hence the opposing roof plane (pitch) at that edge must be known/tracked.  For a ridge board edge the offset will be given by:

offset  = T/(1 + tanθ/tanA)

Since the offset is only a function of the ratio of the two opposing pitches this equation should also hold for hips and valleys as well.  Note that when the angles are equal the equation degenerates to T/2 as one would expect.

Once all of the offsets are determined then it is merely a matter of generating the new points for the polygon drawn in blue highlighter.  Once that polygon (points) is determined it becomes the cutting polygon for the rafters.  Technically it is a boolean intersection rather than a subtraction, but that is all semantics.

Offline Medeek

• Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
    • Medeek Design Inc.
« Reply #753 on: October 08, 2020, 08:48:33 pm »
Version 2.7.8 - 10.09.2020
- Added a "Refresh Licensee Data" button within the License tab of the Global Settings.

Offline Medeek

• Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
    • Medeek Design Inc.
« Reply #754 on: October 23, 2020, 03:17:30 am »
Version 2.7.9 - 10.23.2020
- Fixed a "rounding error" bug for pyramid shaped hip rafter roofs.