Development and Updates for the Medeek Wall Plugin

Started by Medeek, March 04, 2017, 08:59:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Medeek

Quote from: Medeek on September 24, 2018, 12:06:21 PM

What version of the plugin do you have installed?  Also SU version and OS.  Metric template?
I'm wondering if it is somehow loading previous plugin files.  Are you completely uninstalling the previous version before installing the 0.9.6b version?

Also have we tried purging the SketchUp settings file:  PrivatePreferences.json
It is usually found here:
C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\SketchUp\SketchUp 2018\SketchUp

P.S.  I just worked with another user who was encountering the same error and a fresh install with a purge of the json file seems to have fixed the problem.  My suspicion is that previous settings are somehow finding their way from one version to the next which is causing this error.
Nathaniel P. Wilkerson, P.E.

kslifter

I completely uninstalled the extensions and found the privatepreferences file you mentioned and deleted that.

I reinstalled the extensions and it still isn't saving or even using the setting I input into it. I want to set it to an Int/Int wall that has no framing, only gyp board. When I save it, it doesn't save and when I draw it, it draws an int/ext wall.

I pulled open the ruby console and nothing is showing up it in now though.

I didn't accidentally click on the gable wall button and this popped up in the ruby console:
File load error (c:/users/pc/appdata/roaming/sketchup/sketchup 2018/sketchup/plugins/medeek_wall_ext/MEDEEK_GABLE_WALL.rbs): Could not find included file 'c:/users/pc/appdata/roaming/sketchup/sketchup 2018/sketchup/plugins/medeek_wall_ext/MEDEEK_GABLE_WALL.rbs'
Error: #<NameError: uninitialized constant Medeek_Engineering_Inc_Extensions::MedeekWallPlugin::GableWall>
c:/users/pc/appdata/roaming/sketchup/sketchup 2018/sketchup/plugins/medeek_wall_ext/medeek_wall_load.rbs:170:in `block in <module:MedeekWallPluginModuleLoader>'
SketchUp:1:in `call'
Error: #<SystemExit: exit>
c:/users/pc/appdata/roaming/sketchup/sketchup 2018/sketchup/plugins/medeek_wall_ext/medeek_window_wall.rbs:597:in `exit'
c:/users/pc/appdata/roaming/sketchup/sketchup 2018/sketchup/plugins/medeek_wall_ext/medeek_window_wall.rbs:597:in `get_window_parameters'
c:/users/pc/appdata/roaming/sketchup/sketchup 2018/sketchup/plugins/medeek_wall_ext/medeek_window_wall.rbs:380:in `window_family_menu'
c:/users/pc/appdata/roaming/sketchup/sketchup 2018/sketchup/plugins/medeek_wall_ext/medeek_wall_load.rbs:183:in `block in <module:MedeekWallPluginModuleLoader>'
SketchUp:1:in `call'

Medeek

Just got back in from Palm Springs and Utah (family visit). 

I spoke to quite a few users of the plugins at the basecamp, however I apologize that I only got in on Wednesday night so I was only in attendance for Thursday and Friday. 

As always I appreciate the feedback and the continued interest in this venture.  Based on these conversations and my own thoughts I've formulated some additional items that would be useful additions to the plugin(s).

These key items that were discussed and are now on the the todo list are:

1.)  Additional dimension layers for adding other more detailed callouts.
2.)  Wall name actually shown on the model.  Callout will probably be assigned to tertiary dim layer.
3.)  Gable walls (this was already on the list but quite a bit of discussion on it).
4.)  A special tool that allows one to automatically place a group or component into a wall panel group and assign it a label so that the estimating module can properly account for custom elements.
5.)  Allow for a "no bottom plate" configuration for gable walls.
6.)  Allow for multiple trim operations after selecting a face using the TRIM tool of the truss plugin.

I'm still quite tired today, after driving 14 hours straight yesterday and getting in at 4 AM, so I am probably missing a few items on this preliminary list. 

Medeek

Mostly putting out fires today and catching up on emails while I was out of the office for nearly a week.

As I was testing out a rather large user generated model (100+ wall segments) I did notice that the performance of the plugin became quite slow while editing or otherwise updating a wall panel.

After further testing I've decided that in order for the plugin to better manage extremely large models with a large number of wall panels I will need to change up the auto-corner config algorithm (which also handles tee intersections) slightly.

What this means in actual performance terms is a slight drop in speed for smaller models (<5 wall panels) and a major increase in speed for large models

Medeek

Version 0.9.6c - 10.05.2018
- Improved the auto-corner config and tee intersection algorithms to better handle large models (100+ wall panels).

If you are creating large models with the plugin with lots of walls you should see a significant improvement in performance with this latest upgrade.

aggiedan97

My apologies if you've already posted this and feel free to provide a link to a video or previous post..

Is it possible to export a CSV of the wall materials, lengths, dimensions, etc..?

Thanks

Medeek

Quote from: aggiedan97 on October 06, 2018, 09:01:28 AM
My apologies if you've already posted this and feel free to provide a link to a video or previous post..

Is it possible to export a CSV of the wall materials, lengths, dimensions, etc..?

Thanks

The Medeek Estimator framework is now in place and is part of the latest release (0.9.6c).  Howevever, I have only added sheathing, cladding and gypsum to the materials reported thus far, there is a lot of work to be done.  Yes, exporting to CSV is the primary method of retrieving and viewing this data.  Please give the new feature a try and let me know what you think and what features should be changed or added.

aggiedan97

Thanks for the quick reply. I have downloaded the latest version and attempted to use the estimator but have been unsuccessful.
Do you have any more details how to retrieve this information?

saakejam

Medeek Wall - 0.9.6c

Maybe Mac OS Issue - After update today when choosing to draw a wall I could not anchor the wall by clicking the mouse.  The wall would
only follow the mouse, not anchor and turn 90 deg....  Did the typical maneuvers - Restart, Uninstall/Reinstall, quitting after each,,,

No problem when using Windows 10 machine...   ??

Mac OS 10.14

Any mention of this yet?

Medeek

Version 0.9.7 - 10.06.2018
- Wall labels option added to the General tab of the Global Settings.
- Wall labels can be drawn/shown in all framing modes.
- Added two additional layers to the Layers tab of the Global Settings for dimensioning and annotations.

Note that wall labels are drawn on Dim Layer 3, Dim Layer 2 will be reserved for framing annotations (headers, cripples, trimmers, kings etc...), Dim Layer (1) is for standard callouts for windows and doors and their symbols.  The idea being that even if you decide to enable all of the callouts you can easily toggle them by turning on and off the various dim layers.

Medeek

Quote from: saakejam on October 06, 2018, 03:03:54 PM
Medeek Wall - 0.9.6c

Maybe Mac OS Issue - After update today when choosing to draw a wall I could not anchor the wall by clicking the mouse.  The wall would
only follow the mouse, not anchor and turn 90 deg....  Did the typical maneuvers - Restart, Uninstall/Reinstall, quitting after each,,,

No problem when using Windows 10 machine...   ??

Mac OS 10.14

Any mention of this yet?

I haven't seen any specific Mac related issues lately but that doesn't mean they don't exist.  Can you enable the ruby console and see if you are getting any specific errors.

Medeek

Quote from: aggiedan97 on October 06, 2018, 11:00:35 AM
Thanks for the quick reply. I have downloaded the latest version and attempted to use the estimator but have been unsuccessful.
Do you have any more details how to retrieve this information?

When you say you've been unsuccessful I need more details.  When you click on the estimator icon what do you get?  As always enable the ruby console and cut and paste any error codes you get while duplicating the error.  I've only starting working on the framework of the new estimator so it doesn't really do much right now.

saakejam

Wall will not anchor with mouse click to turn 90 deg...  Follows stuck to cursor until I esc.

Error from Ruby Console

Error: #<NoMethodError: undefined method `bounds' for nil:NilClass>
/users/cyclefanatic/library/application support/sketchup 2018/sketchup/plugins/medeek_wall_ext/medeek_wall_cornerconfig.rbs:60:in `block in check_corners'
/users/cyclefanatic/library/application support/sketchup 2018/sketchup/plugins/medeek_wall_ext/medeek_wall_cornerconfig.rbs:60:in `each'
/users/cyclefanatic/library/application support/sketchup 2018/sketchup/plugins/medeek_wall_ext/medeek_wall_cornerconfig.rbs:60:in `find_all'
/users/cyclefanatic/library/application support/sketchup 2018/sketchup/plugins/medeek_wall_ext/medeek_wall_cornerconfig.rbs:60:in `check_corners'
/users/cyclefanatic/library/application support/sketchup 2018/sketchup/plugins/medeek_wall_ext/medeek_rectangular_wall.rbs:2950:in `create_wall_geometry'
/users/cyclefanatic/library/application support/sketchup 2018/sketchup/plugins/medeek_wall_ext/medeek_rectangular_wall.rbs:2376:in `main_menu_html'
/users/cyclefanatic/library/application support/sketchup 2018/sketchup/plugins/medeek_wall_ext/medeek_draw_wall_tools.rbs:1471:in `calculate_obj'
/users/cyclefanatic/library/application support/sketchup 2018/sketchup/plugins/medeek_wall_ext/medeek_draw_wall_tools.rbs:1488:in `update_state'
/users/cyclefanatic/library/application support/sketchup 2018/sketchup/plugins/medeek_wall_ext/medeek_draw_wall_tools.rbs:1514:in `onLButtonDown'
/users/cyclefanatic/library/application support/sketchup 2018/sketchup/plugins/medeek_wall_ext/medeek_wall_cornerconfig.rbs:60:in `block in check_corners'
/users/cyclefanatic/library/application support/sketchup 2018/sketchup/plugins/medeek_wall_ext/medeek_wall_cornerconfig.rbs:60:in `each'
/users/cyclefanatic/library/application support/sketchup 2018/sketchup/plugins/medeek_wall_ext/medeek_wall_cornerconfig.rbs:60:in `find_all'
/users/cyclefanatic/library/application support/sketchup 2018/sketchup/plugins/medeek_wall_ext/medeek_wall_cornerconfig.rbs:60:in `check_corners'
/users/cyclefanatic/library/application support/sketchup 2018/sketchup/plugins/medeek_wall_ext/medeek_rectangular_wall.rbs:2950:in `create_wall_geometry'
/users/cyclefanatic/library/application support/sketchup 2018/sketchup/plugins/medeek_wall_ext/medeek_rectangular_wall.rbs:2376:in `main_menu_html'
/users/cyclefanatic/library/application support/sketchup 2018/sketchup/plugins/medeek_wall_ext/medeek_draw_wall_tools.rbs:1471:in `calculate_obj'
/users/cyclefanatic/library/application support/sketchup 2018/sketchup/plugins/medeek_wall_ext/medeek_draw_wall_tools.rbs:1488:in `update_state'
/users/cyclefanatic/library/application support/sketchup 2018/sketchup/plugins/medeek_wall_ext/medeek_draw_wall_tools.rbs:1514:in `onLButtonDown'

Medeek

I should have figured on the wall label prefix as being user definable.  I will go ahead and add a label prefix parameter to the global settings.  This prefix can also be set to nil (blank) so that only numbers are used to label the walls.

Note, the wall label is given by the wall name in the wall edit menu, this can be changed at any time.

Medeek

Quote from: saakejam on October 07, 2018, 05:27:56 AM
Wall will not anchor with mouse click to turn 90 deg...  Follows stuck to cursor until I esc.

Error from Ruby Console

And you are only getting this error in MacOS correct?