Development and Updates for the Medeek Truss Plugin

Started by Medeek, November 07, 2015, 03:06:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Medeek

Version 2.4.7b - 06.14.2019
- Addressed a number of critical bug fixes for metric templates.

If you are working with metric units this update will address a number of issues that were not resolved when the edit function was added to various trusses and rafter roofs.  This is an essential upgrade.
Nathaniel P. Wilkerson, P.E.

Medeek

Still trying to get the complex roof module up and running but every time I try and refocus some other fire comes along and pulls me sideways.  The soffit and fascia module introduced another block of parameters which need to be exposed in the global settings so users can set their default behavior, this is a relatively easy addition.  I will knock this one out sometime later this evening.

With the Wall plugin I also have a huge list of items but a couple which are actively being requested are stacked windows and a custom offset parameter for the stud spacing.  I really should hop back into the Wall plugin and try to address these before I get re-focused on the complex roof module.

The recent metric fix will be a welcome upgrade/resolution for many of you using metric templates.  Again, I apologize for not spending as much time as I would like on debugging the metric side of the house.  I will try to make a more concerted effort to check the metric side moving forward.

Medeek

Version 2.4.8 - 06.16.2019
- Added a Soffit/Fascia tab to the Global Settings.

I've been developing this plugin now for almost 4 years.  Progress is steady but much yet remains to be done.  Once the complex and secondary roof modules are operational this plugin will begin to compete with the big dogs of architectural software (eg. Revit, Chief Architect etc...)  Its taken a while to get to this point with a few detours along the way but I'm getting very close to accomplishing the holy grail of the plugin which has always been the ability to handle complex roofs automatically.

Medeek

With the recent post about the foundation plugin (adding in parametrics for slab on grade foundations) some people are asking "Why did you stop working on complex roofs and move back to the foundation plugin?".  As it turns out the algorithm or logic for editing the "polygon" outline of a complex roof or foundation is pretty much the same.  Since I have the overall code in place for a slab on grade foundation I am first implementing the polygon face edit tool with the foundation plugin then I will bring this code over to the Truss plugin and complex roofs.

Medeek

The "FRONT" option for Gable Truss parameter allows one to terminate a truss assembly where it meets another roof or wall but currently it does not provide for a GIRDER truss as shown:

I need to provide an additional option here called "GIRDER" which allows the user to terminate the truss assembly and also configure a girder truss (ie. Howe truss with heavy bottom chord and stubbed off tails).

Medeek

Version 2.4.9 - 08.27.2019
- Fixed the trim tool so that it is now able to trim hollow sections (ie. pipes, rectangular tubes).

The extend tool already had this ability but for some reason I was not made aware that the trim tool was unable to handle hollow sections until just recently.

Medeek

Medeek Live Training: Session 2

Scheduled time is Sept. 12 (Thursday) at 11:00 PST

The primary topics covered will be the recent additions to the truss plugin (ie. soffit & fascia, asymmetric rafter roofs, etc...) however as usual I will be open to any other questions via the online chat.

The session should run about an hour in length depending on the number of questions I receive.

I think I've worked the kinks out of my streaming software, so things should go a bit smoother this time.

Medeek

Working in earnest on the complex roof module today after spending about two months overhauling the foundation plugin.

As I'm putting together this module I'm starting with a clean slate and trying to take advantage of all my behind the scenes and UI improvements I've made with the updates to foundation plugin and even the electrical plugin.  All of the menus for this module will be HTML.  Many of the editing and move tools will be brought over from the recent work on the foundation plugin.

The basic parameters that will define the complex roof overall geometry and roof planes are:

- polygon outline (provided by a face or a locus of user selected points)
- pitch
- overhang
- birdcut
- rafter depth

Additional basic parameters will be:

- rafter width
- ridgeboard depth
- ridgeboard width
- hip rafter depth
- hip rafter width
- valley rafter depth
- valley rafter width

- framing option: Yes/No
- advanced roof options

If the advanced roof options are enabled then the roof planes are actually further defined by the sub-fascia width since in two of three sub-fascia types the roof sheathing (plane) actually extends over the sub-fascia.

The advanced roof options will include:  sheathing, cladding, sub-fascia, hip-and-ridge, gutters and soffit & fascia.  The number of parameter required for all of these options is too numerous to list here.  Future advanced parameters might include: gypsum, ceiling joists, heel blocking

Once a complex roof assembly is created it then can be edited by selecting various roof planes and customizing that roof planes particular parameters. 

The roof plane edit tool will allow the user to adjust the follow parameters specifically for that roof plane or eave/edge:

- pitch
- birdcut
- rafter depth
- Overhang OR Delta Height (vertical height of supporting top plate)

Additionally certain roof planes will be convertable from a hip configuration to a gable configuration.  Once a roof edge/plane is converted to a gable it will then need to be editable with a different "gable" menu, which will include a whole host of gable specific parameters (ie. outlookers, gable overhang, wall sheathing, wall cladding etc...)

Similar to the "Move SOG Edge" tool with the foundation plugin I will also have a "Move Roof Eave" tool that allows the user to move the roof outline around by picking an edge and dragging it perpendicular in or out.  This should make resizing a roof a breeze. 

I will also have the "Edit Roof Outline" context menu tool which will allow the user to actually edit the polygon that defines the roof outline.

I'm posting this update not only for you but also for me as it is helping me organize some of my own thoughts about what direction I need to take this new development.  Any feedback or suggestions on what I have proposed thus far for this new module is very much welcomed.

Just to be clear this module is something I have been trying to accomplish within this plugin since I began coding it almost four years ago.  This is the Holy Grail of the Medeek Truss extension.  If I can pull this off successfully then I have actually accomplished something.

Medeek

First look at the Draw menu for a complex rafter roof:

When you first click the complex roof icon you are first presented with the initial selection menu:

Once you click the rafter roof option you are then given the draw menu.

I now have the initial supporting infrastructure and templates in place, in other words the boring stuff (ie. attribute library storage and retrieval, draw and edit menus, polygon tool for point selection, global settings).

Now begins the much more challenging and exciting part of the development, establishing the roof planes and the actual geometry creation algorithms.

Medeek

First look at a complex roof primitive created with the complex roof module:

The roof primitive will be placed on the hidden layer and the roof outline (blue colored face) will be placed on the outline layer.  The outline layer is important since it allows the moving of the roof edges.  Both of these layers are normally turned off but can be turned on manually at any time.

View the model here:

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/10c5d29f-eee3-4ff7-8fbc-0686d6e9bc16/Complex-Roof-Test-1

So far the algorithm for generating the roof planes (roof primitive) seems pretty stable, I will have to try harder to break it.

The next step will be the edit functions and then sheathing and cladding, those are the easy ones.  After that it is on to sub-fascia, soffit & fascia and gutters. 

The most difficult algorithms will be the framing and the hip & ridge.

Medeek

First look at moving a roof edge:

Now I need to setup a similar system which will allow certain roof planes to be toggled between hip, gable, dutch gable and half hip.  I think I will keep it simple and just start with the gable and hip options first.

Even with only the roof primitive this is already shaping up to be a fairly powerful tool.  I like that the entire roof is parametric, I really dislike limitations, both for myself and for the designers who use my plugins.

Medeek

You can also eliminate entire roof planes simply by merging the edges of the roof:

Medeek

Complex octagon roofs are going to get interesting when it gets to the framing:

I will be adding in a separate toolbar for complex roofs with the following tools:

- Draw Complex Roof
- Edit Complex Roof
- Move Roof Edge
- Edit Roof Plane

Some of these tools can also be accessed via the context menu by right clicking on the roof assembly.

Medeek

First look at the Complex Roofs toolbar:

I have removed the complex roof (draw) icon from the main toolbar.

The "Edit Complex Roof" tool will allow the user to manage all of the basic and advanced options for the overall roof.  The "Edit Roof Plane" tool will allow the user to select a specific roof plane and edit its specific parameters:

- pitch
- top plate height (vertical offset with respect to the main roof)
- overhang
- birdcut
- rafter depth

If a roof plane meets certain criteria the option to switch the roof plane to an end gable will also be allowed.  I have yet to work out all the details or algorithm which will determine whether a roof plane meets this criteria but I do have a pretty good idea on this one, however it may need some fine tuning.

If a roof plane is converted to a gable configuration then additional parameters for gable roofs will be presented in the roof plane edit menu (ie. gable overhang, outlookers, etc...)

Medeek

Still working on the trying to break the roof plane (primitive) algorithm.  I've added in a bit more error checking code.  It will probably be a couple more days of testing to make sure it is bullet proof or mostly bullet proof.

The edit, move edge and edit outline tools and functions are now all working.  The next item of business is the roof plane edit tool.