Development and Updates for the Medeek Wall Plugin

Started by Medeek, March 04, 2017, 08:59:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Medeek

Version 1.3.4 - 04.14.2020
- Added transoms for all rectangular door types.
- Enabled all grille options for door transoms.

I may need to finesse the various grilles to better suite the transom window (dependent on its aspect ratio) but for now it is generally working as it should.
Nathaniel P. Wilkerson, P.E.

Medeek

Adding a transom for an arched doorway (with or without sidelites) is an interesting permutation on the problem.  In that case the transom would be arched however the door (and sidelites) would be rectangular as usual:

There are some variations to this though:

It gives me a headache just trying to figure out how to commit all of these possibilities into code.  At some point if a door assembly becomes to "custom" I probably just need to leave it to the user to insert their own assembly/component.

I also need to enable arched doorways for doors with sidelites but no transom, the work never ends:

Without a doubt the rectangular doors are so much more linear and boring.

Medeek

Updated todo list (as of Apr. 14, 2020):

1.) Gable and Shed Walls
2.) Move the Estimating module to the new  Medeek Project  extension, and further develop this module as it relates to the wall plugin.
3.) Complete the Wall Join tool.
4.) Convert the Window, Door and Garage Door Draw menus to HTML.
5.) Move the Fixtures module to a the new  Medeek Interior  extension.
6.) Compete the standalone columns/post tool.
6b) Classical columns for the post tool.

7.) Start work on the integrated  Medeek Engineering  extension, start with window and door headers for vertical loads.
8.) A generic Blocking module is still a good idea in my opinion, I will need further feedback on this one.
9.) Transom windows above doors with and without sidelites.
10.) Shear Wall module which will ultimately integrate with the engineering plugin.
11.) Complete the Wall Stretch tool (75% complete as of 02/24/2020)
12.) Additional door and window types as requested (eg. bi-fold, sliding glass, double and triple single hung windows).
13.) Spend some time on the new tabs in the global settings, currently showing an Under Construction sign.
14.) Presets for Windows and Doors
15.) Making the Window and Door modules work with generic walls, not just Medeek walls.
16.) Multi-layer gypsum
17.) Stair module permutations:  U, L, T etc...
18.)  Further "idiot" proofing of the plugins:  (zero value, nil values, checking for impossible geometry, etc...)
19.) Wall Justification
20.) Interior trim added to Medeek Interior extension.

Items in strikethrough have been recently completed.

A full list of what has been added or updated can be viewed here:

http://design.medeek.com/resources/wallpluginchangelog.html

Medeek

Version 1.3.4b - 04.15.2020
- Added transoms for arched door types.

Medeek

Door with transom and sidelite and wall trim:

Arched door with transom and wall trim:

Medeek

I've added a parameter which shows the leg height of the transom or arched door way, it is currently not a user editable parameter but I will test it further and may make it user definable if that makes sense:

The arch leg height is defined or calculated by the following three parameters:

door width (w), transom/door height (h), arch radius (r )

and given by the following equation:

L = h - r(1-cos(asin(0.5*w/r)))

Medeek

First look at an arched door with sidelites and transom:

Medeek

I'm trying to wrap up the whole arched door (with sidelites) issue.  I'm currently looking at the situation where you have sidelites but no transom, this turns out to be the more complicated situation since both the door and the sidelites follow the arch of the doorway.

As nearly as I can tell an arched door always will have double sidelites and not a single sidelite:

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Medeek

Version 1.3.5 - 04.18.2020
- Enabled single and double sidelites for arched doors with a transom.
- Added a leg height parameter to the door edit menu for arched doors.
- Enabled double sidelites for arched doors without a transom.

Along the way I also addressed some minor bugs with regards to door openings and the exterior wall trim.  I highly recommend upgrading to this latest release.

Medeek

Tutorial 11 - Split Wall Cladding (6:49 min.)

With the polyline stemwall module I have already implemented an option for hiding edges (same sort of issue).  I may do the same for the cladding however in a situation like this, where you have two walls of dissimilar height things get a bit more complicated.

Medeek

Version 1.3.6 - 04.22.2020
- Resolved an issue with UTF-8 encoding.

Medeek

After some further analysis it would seem that I need one additional "end" wall condition, see image below:

In this situation you have multiple walls coming together at a single location.  The exterior walls constitute an inside corner however the interior wall is not a normal "tee" intersection.  If one uses the "end" condition then the end of the interior wall is wrapped with gypsum as shown and the gypsum on the exterior wall is not removed.  It you try to use a "tee" condition the interior wall top plate wants to remove part of the exterior wall's top plate, so this doesn't really work either.

I am going to call this wall condition a "terminal" wall condition.  Essentially it is identical in behavior to the "end" wall condition however it does not get a gypsum wrap (interior walls), but it will also still remove any gypsum/sheathing/cladding of any wall it terminates against.

See model here:

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/0ab6f9a1-e1ff-43c2-bcff-96db69cb1438/Terminal-Wall-Condition

Medeek

Version 1.3.7 - 04.25.2020
- Fixed the HTML tabs of the global settings (page 2).

Medeek

Version 1.3.7b - 04.25.2020
- Added a Global Reset button in the General tab of the Global Settings.

No more messing around with registry entries, plist files and JSON files.  Just click the button and you start with a clean slate, why didn't I think of this before.

Medeek

Version 1.3.8 - 04.26.2020
- Added additional logic to the blocking and insulation modules for short wall panels.