Development and Updates for the Medeek Wall Plugin

Started by Medeek, March 04, 2017, 08:59:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Medeek

Quote from: mqbeers on July 03, 2018, 01:06:26 PM
Re: your color question - when I load the menu there is no default value in the box for Trim color and the behavior is the same for me whether there is a value in the field or not. I entered the #ffffff just to have something in the field to investigate whether that would affect the behavior. It did not.

Just weird as it worked well in the last iteration.

I just uninstalled and reinstalled the plugin to make sure that I captured any changes in the latest release.  I'm still not getting this error.  Can you send or post a quick screen shot of the draw wall menu (basic options) and (trim).
Nathaniel P. Wilkerson, P.E.

mqbeers

I restarted Sketchup and tried again. When I start the wall plugin and select Advanced = yes, I now get the proper behavior, and I can edit it to make changes.
However - when I draw just a framed wall with Advanced = No, and then try to edit the wall and update it, still get the error, or, nothing appears to happen.

I have attached the entire edit wall menu with my selections.

I am on a MacBook if it makes any difference.

mqbeers

Is there a way to totally delete the plug-in, remove all traces, and then re-install and start new? Probably need to save my license file out somewhere I guess.

Medeek

I think the plugin installation is fine, what you are seeing is that the advanced settings have not been set for that particular wall panel since it was created with advanced wall options turned off.  However, rather than display blank values when the various advanced options are turned on it should probably load up the default values from the global settings.

If you get a chance this afternoon call me at 425-652-4188 so you can describe more fully what you are seeing and I can verify what I think I am seeing.

Medeek

Version 0.8.3b - 07.03.2018
- Fixed a bug with the wall edit menu so that it loads default global settings for advanced wall options as required.

Note that the band board can also be combined with wainscoting:

mqbeers

Good morning Nathan.
You got this update out pretty quickly, but there is still something not right. Sorry. Here is what I am seeing:

Open global settings, Turn on Advanced Wall Options, Save - Close.
Draw Basic Framed Wall (Turn off Advanced for this step), draw series of 3 walls at random. (See attached). Space bar out of the plugin.
Select first wall drawn - open Edit Wall Menu, Turn on Advanced, check that settings are correct, click on update, first wall is updated just fine.
Close Wall Edit Menu, Select 2nd Wall, reopen Edit Wall Menu, make sure Advanced is turned on, check settings, click update, the update is applied right over the top of the first wall drawn while the 2nd wall is selected.

Here is the Ruby Console code:
Error: #<TypeError: no implicit conversion to float from nil>
/users/mark/library/application support/sketchup 2018/sketchup/plugins/medeek_wall_ext/medeek_wall_exttrim.rbs:1580:in `pushpull'
/users/mark/library/application support/sketchup 2018/sketchup/plugins/medeek_wall_ext/medeek_wall_exttrim.rbs:1580:in `draw_trim_geometry'
/users/mark/library/application support/sketchup 2018/sketchup/plugins/medeek_wall_ext/medeekable to_rectangular_wall.rbs:2107:in `draw_selector'
/users/mark/library/application support/sketchup 2018/sketchup/plugins/medeek_wall_ext/medeek_rectangular_wall.rbs:1907:in `main_menu'
/users/mark/library/application support/sketchup 2018/sketchup/plugins/medeek_wall_ext/medeek_rectangular_wall.rbs:5353:in `calculate_obj'
/users/mark/library/application support/sketchup 2018/sketchup/plugins/medeek_wall_ext/medeek_rectangular_wall.rbs:5372:in `update_state'
/users/mark/library/application support/sketchup 2018/sketchup/plugins/medeek_wall_ext/medeek_rectangular_wall.rbs:5398:in `onLButtonDown'

Question: Should I be able to leave the Edit Wall Menu open and select subsequent walls to update? If not - that would be welcome functionality. At the moment when I select the next wall the wall length does not update in the Edit Wall Menu, so I need to close Edit Wall, select the next wall, reopen Edit Wall, and then select Update. When doing this now the update is applied over the first wall drawn in the correct length, but not location.

mqbeers

So - I went to create a new wall, fresh project, with Advanced Options turned on. Made sure that my Global settings were good first, then selected the wall tool, drew my first wall, everything looked good - siding, trim, etc. - tried to continue to draw a second wall from the end of the first wall, but the cursor is stuck on the beginning of the first wall and every subsequent click places a wall in the same space as the first wall.

When I check the License tab in Global Settings, the version is reported as 0.8.3 without the b minor revision.

Code from the creation of the 1st and 2nd attempt:
/users/mark/library/application support/sketchup 2018/sketchup/plugins/medeek_wall_ext/medeek_wall_exttrim.rbs:1580:in `pushpull'
/users/mark/library/application support/sketchup 2018/sketchup/plugins/medeek_wall_ext/medeek_wall_exttrim.rbs:1580:in `draw_trim_geometry'
/users/mark/library/application support/sketchup 2018/sketchup/plugins/medeek_wall_ext/medeek_rectangular_wall.rbs:2107:in `draw_selector'
/users/mark/library/application support/sketchup 2018/sketchup/plugins/medeek_wall_ext/medeek_rectangular_wall.rbs:1907:in `main_menu'
/users/mark/library/application support/sketchup 2018/sketchup/plugins/medeek_wall_ext/medeek_rectangular_wall.rbs:5358:in `calculate_obj'
/users/mark/library/application support/sketchup 2018/sketchup/plugins/medeek_wall_ext/medeek_rectangular_wall.rbs:5377:in `update_state'
/users/mark/library/application support/sketchup 2018/sketchup/plugins/medeek_wall_ext/medeek_rectangular_wall.rbs:5403:in `onLButtonDown'
/users/mark/library/application support/sketchup 2018/sketchup/plugins/medeek_wall_ext/medeek_rectangular_wall.rbs:2107:in `draw_selector'
/users/mark/library/application support/sketchup 2018/sketchup/plugins/medeek_wall_ext/medeek_rectangular_wall.rbs:5358:in `calculate_obj'
/users/mark/library/application support/sketchup 2018/sketchup/plugins/medeek_wall_ext/medeek_rectangular_wall.rbs:5377:in `update_state'
/users/mark/library/application support/sketchup 2018/sketchup/plugins/medeek_wall_ext/medeek_rectangular_wall.rbs:5403:in `onLButtonDown'

Medeek

I'm looking at this right now.  Last night I updated the attribute dictionary module quite significantly in order to fix the previous issue.  In doing so I may have broken something else in the process.  I am currently trying to duplicate the error(s) you have shown below so I can squash this one.

Medeek

Version 0.8.3c - 07.04.2018
- Release date and sub. revision numbers are now correctly reported in the global settings license tab.

I have not been able to duplicate the specific error you are having but I made some minor modifications to that specific section of the code.  Please download 0.8.3c and then try to duplicate the recent error(s).

I probably have not been able to duplicate the error because something in my advanced settings does not match something in yours, one of the parameters or a combination of parameters may be causing the issue here.  I will get to the bottom of it.

mqbeers

Good news. I have tried all my previous actions and everything I have tried seems to work just fine. Wall Edit Menu updates are being applied as expected with no weird behaviors. New walls and additional walls added on to existing walls appear to work fine. I obviously have not tried all iterations, but so far looks good.

I do have a couple of observations/suggestions:

1. There does not appear to be a Global Setting for Wainscot Cut, so that has to be set every time in the Edit Wall function. A global setting for this would be welcome.
2. If you could allow/configure the Edit Wall function to be sequentially applied without having to close, reselect, and reopen the Edit Wall Menu again that would be very, very helpful and very good functionality. Maybe a button or something to update the selection?

Anyhow, I really appreciate all your work on this.

Medeek

I'm a bit of a perfectionist, which I will readily admit can be my undoing sometimes.

The LVL edge texture was really bugging me so I created a slightly better one:

An 14" deep LVL 3-Ply beam with an HUCQ612 hanger.

Medeek

Quote from: mqbeers on July 04, 2018, 03:06:50 PM
Good news. I have tried all my previous actions and everything I have tried seems to work just fine. Wall Edit Menu updates are being applied as expected with no weird behaviors. New walls and additional walls added on to existing walls appear to work fine. I obviously have not tried all iterations, but so far looks good.

I do have a couple of observations/suggestions:

1. There does not appear to be a Global Setting for Wainscot Cut, so that has to be set every time in the Edit Wall function. A global setting for this would be welcome.
2. If you could allow/configure the Edit Wall function to be sequentially applied without having to close, reselect, and reopen the Edit Wall Menu again that would be very, very helpful and very good functionality. Maybe a button or something to update the selection?

Anyhow, I really appreciate all your work on this.

Thank-you for bearing with me on trying to eliminate the bugs.

Two excellent suggestions.  I also just realized that none of the wainscot settings are added into the global settings sheathing tab yet, the work never ends.

I've actually had a couple other people request the same functionality with the edit wall function, so this is now top priority, I am looking at it right now and I will see what I can do.

mqbeers

Thanks Nathan.
One other little thing occurred to me - I would find it helpful if there were more informative pop-up tool tips for all the various buttons for launching modules of the plug-in. I have not yet really gotten straight what all the buttons are for. Just something that I think would help user functionality. Not the end of the world, but would be a nice to have.

Medeek

Preview of the updated Trim tab of the global settings.  I've organized it a little better into vertical and horizontal elements for the exterior trim:

I've also added the missing Wainscot Cut parameter and the new parameters for the Frieze and Skirt boards (with drip cap).

Medeek

Quote from: mqbeers on July 04, 2018, 05:11:57 PM
Thanks Nathan.
One other little thing occurred to me - I would find it helpful if there were more informative pop-up tool tips for all the various buttons for launching modules of the plug-in. I have not yet really gotten straight what all the buttons are for. Just something that I think would help user functionality. Not the end of the world, but would be a nice to have.

I've started adding tool tips into some of the menus and the global settings, I will keep adding more as I move forward.  I am also starting to work on the manual, but the tool tips take precedence over the manual since I feel that they are more accessible and useful to the user.