Development and Updates for the Medeek Electrical Plugin

Started by Medeek, January 24, 2019, 03:46:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Medeek

Version 1.1.5 - 04.28.2020
- Added a Global Reset button in the General tab of the Global Settings.
- Plugin files switched from .rbs to .rbe encryption.
Nathaniel P. Wilkerson, P.E.

Medeek

My youngest son is looking for a job this summer and with the situation being mostly under lockdown I would rather him work from home, with me.

As such I'm proposing that he help me by creating a number of models for the Electrical plugin so that I can extend it to include the British Standards (BS 1363).  I have had a number of requests for other electrical standards and by far the most highly requested has been the British equivalents of our NEMA sockets and switches.

The  BS 1363 (Type G) seems to be quite widespread throughout the world.

I have a few models already from a few months prior but any additional information on receptacles and switches as well as standard boxes used in the trade would be greatly appreciated.

Medeek

First look at a low poly UK outlet:

The model is based off of the .SAT models provided on the website of MK Electric.

View model here:

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/0dbd4a80-7af6-4064-9150-3cf73324d93c/K2647WHI

Medeek

Unlike the typical US outlet and/or switch the British variety come with the faceplate and the electrical component integrated into a single unit.  Due to this fact and other considerations the draw and edit menus for the UK version of the plugin will be different than the North American version (NEMA).

Here are some typical outlets:

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/61db2faa-8a8a-4f22-9d94-3e06fc9d3517/MK-Logic-Plus-Low-Poly

For those of you concerned that I am taking my attention off of the wall and truss plugins, don't be overly concerned.  I am only setting up the templates so that my youngest son Edmond can be set loose to do most of the heavy lifting.  I will provide oversight, as necessary, to make sure that every outlet and switch model meets my exacting standards but the bulk of my time will be spent working on the gable wall module for the next few days.

Medeek

I have been contacted by SketchUp (Educational Programs Coordinator) with regards to using SketchUp for electrical work.  They are looking for some examples of recent work to share with the IBEW and ETA (electrical union) to showcase the use of SketchUp in the design and layout of electrical systems.

I am not an electrical contractor so I don't have any actual real life case studies to share or demonstrate but I am hopeful that some of the current users of the electrical plugin might have some examples they are willing to share with the rest of the electrical community.

If you would be interested in sharing some of your work as a case study please contact me at nathan@medeek.com

Medeek

In the global settings there will be a new parameter for choosing the electrical standard.  The default standard will be NEMA (North America) with a new option for the BS (British Standard).

When you enable the British standard the usual toolbars will be the same however you will also get a third toolbar for British standard specific outlets and switches (and in the future possibly other specific items).  The regular NEMA switches and outlets will still be available with the main toolbar so in case the user wants a mixed installation of NEMA and BS components.  I may change this in the future depending on customer feedback.

The initial UK toolbar will be:

I wish the Union Jack displayed with a bit more clarity but it is hard to get a lot of detail when the icons are as small as they are.

Medeek

MK Electric has a very extensive product line. There is also the MK Grid Plus line which is similar to the Leviton QuickPort system however it is primarily for switches not low voltage ports:

https://www.mkelectric.com/Documents/English/EN%20MK%20Catalogue/Grid%20Plus.pdf

Medeek

Medeek

Version 1.1.6 - 08.11.2020
- Updated all electrical drawing tools to be compatible with Medeek gable, shed and hip walls.
- Improved compatibility with the SketchUp Grid Tool.

Slightly off topic but I really like using the Grid Tool to help with laying out walls, foundations and even electrical components:

https://extensions.sketchup.com/extension/a784fd64-f0ae-492b-8ca4-06aaec6afec6/grid-tool

My self imposed timeline for getting the UK switches and outlets released is Oct. 1, 2020.  However I may be able to push that sooner if I am able to shuffle a few things.

Medeek

After comparing my UK switch tool and the US (NEMA) switch tool it became abundantly clear that there isn't too much to do in order to get the UK switches up and running so I bit the bullet and opened another can of worms...

First look at some flush mounted MK Logic Plus switches with metal boxes:

I still need to enable the 2D symbols but now I am wondering if the symbols used by the Brits are different from what we use here in North America, knowing my luck they are probably not the same.

Medeek

To be perfectly honest I didn't think this plugin would be widely used or adopted, kind of niche thing for a few electrical contractors or guys like myself who like to show a lot of details in their models.  I actually got the initial idea from reading through John Brock's book and I really liked how he was placing electrical components into his models.  It seemed like too much work to have to place pre-made components into the model at the right depth into the walls and also the height, hence the plugin was born, which automatically sorted out these details for you.

As with my other plugins as I have continued to develop them they have garnered more interest and I've tried to make them more flexible to accommodate more users and standards.  I'm currently working to release the British Standard upgrade which will include some typical UK outlets and switches (and boxes).  However, a lot more remains to be done to truly make this flexible enough for a worldwide audience.

Keep sending in the feedback, it ultimately helps me fine tune this plugin to better meet the needs of you the user.

Medeek

Medeek

Version 1.1.7 - 08.13.2020
- Created the Medeek Electrical UK (British Standard) toolbar, with two additional functions/tools: Draw Switch, Draw Outlet.
- Enabled the Draw Switch (UK) tool with the following switch types (MK Logic Plus): single pole, dimmer, blank.

Medeek

Since I am using manufacturer's part numbers to specify the switch and box with the new UK module I thought it made sense to provide a thumbnail to aid in the selection process:

Medeek

Version 1.1.7b - 08.13.2020
- Added preview thumbnails to the draw and edit menus of the UK switch tool.