Development and Updates for the Medeek Truss Plugin

Started by Medeek, November 07, 2015, 03:06:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Medeek

Nathaniel P. Wilkerson, P.E.

Medeek

I don't know if is something I will add in right away but it has been added to my list.  I think that making the gutter a solid makes it easier to work with manually and that the top being covered or solid does not really affect the appearance detrimentally.

View model here:

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/7aa80c75-5183-4aed-b0fb-ee54aa094fe0/Hip-and-Ridge-Medeek-Office

Medeek

I've been contacted by a truss designer who uses Mitek software.  He wanted to know if there was a way to bring my truss models directly into the Mitek Engineering software.  Apparently there is a .mxf file format that is already utilized by a Revit plugin to do this exact thing.  If I can get the specifications of the .mxf file format I can probably setup an export feature which will allow the full truss assembly to be exported directly into Mitek.  This would be convenient for the truss technician, eliminating some of his workload and manual entry.

I've contacted Mitek's support staff inquiring about the the .mxf file format and if they would entertain the idea of my plugin be able to transmit truss designs directly to their software.

Medeek

About a year ago I added some code into the plugin to phone home when a new installation occurs.  This tells me the IP address (geographic location) of the installation as well some other data such as the plugin version number and whether or not it is the trial or full version.

Recently I have noticed a number of installations of the full version of the plugin that show a bogus version number (2.8.8 ) and they are all coming from China.  The leads me to believe that the plugin has been hacked and possibly those hacked copies are being distributed but so far not widely.

I guess the upside is that if the hackers are trying to crack the program it must be worth their time and hence I've put together a fairly substantial product.

On the next release I will include some additional error checking which will hopefully thwart these would be hackers.

Medeek

SketchUp Essentials has put together a nice overview of the plugin.

Medeek

Medeek

Medeek

Version 2.0.4c - 10.30.2017

This sub-release has the gutter menu added to the global settings as well as a new roof layer added for gutters in the layer menu.

You can't actually create any gutters yet but you can test out the new GUI in the global settings and offer any feedback.

I am still working out the algorithm for the downspouts.  My intent is to use the standard rectangular profile downspout material for the K-Style gutter and a round profile downspout for the U-Style (half round) gutter.

Medeek

The gutter extension is how much the gutter extends past the rake board on a gable roof, this does not apply to a hip roof or dutch hip roof.

The vertical offset is the distance the gutter drops down from the top edge of the fascia board, the default is zero.

With a metric template the dimensions are given in mm or metres with the grid shown in cm.  In US units dimensions are in inches or feet with the grid shown in inches.

Medeek

Preview of the E-Style or "Box Gutter":

Note that I've also added the downspout options and parameters.  The units don't show in this screen shot but they will within the plugin.

This type of gutter is probably more common in commercial applications.

Medeek

Version 2.0.5 - 11.05.2017
- Added gutters and downspouts for rafter and truss hip roofs.
- Gutter menu added to the global settings.
- Custom roof layer added for gutters in the layer menu within the global settings.

I still need to add gutters and downspouts to the gable roofs (truss and rafter).

Four gutter types with two different downspout types.

This is a new feature so please send me your feedback and I will try to address all of the issues.

Medeek

K-Style gutter with "2x3" downspouts.

I may need to add a few more user configurable variables:

- offset from bldg. corner (currently I have it offset 0" from the framing)
- offset from framed wall (currently I have it offset 1" from the framing)
- downspout radius (currently set at 3" @ CL)
- downspout drop (currently set at 3" before the first bend)

Right now these values are all hard coded into the plugin.

Medeek

Version 2.0.5b - 11.06.2017

- Fixed a minor bug with the downspout module, downspout solid is now a uniform extrusion with no unnecessary seams or edges.

Medeek

Version 2.0.5c - 11.07.2017

- Fixed a minor bug with the gutter layer for installation upgrades of the plugin.

If you have version 2.0.5b please upgrade to this version or be sure to open up the global settings and click on the layers tab, this will create the default gutter layer setting.

Medeek

Half wrap of a hip roof return:

All of the gutters and downspouts are constructed as solids so that it is easy to manipulate them with Pro's boolean tools or other third party solid tools.