Development and Updates for the Medeek Truss Plugin

Started by Medeek, November 07, 2015, 03:06:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Medeek

Version 2.6.1 - 11.07.2019
- Added ridge boards for complex roofs.

The next framing item is hip and valley rafters.
Nathaniel P. Wilkerson, P.E.

Medeek

Unlike an asymmetric hip rafter a valley rafter that joins two dissimilar roof pitches centers on the edge of the roof primitive as shown:

View model here:

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/f43a9fce-68e5-4d25-8994-ead6e043b7fd/Assymetric-Valley-Test

At least that seems to be the correct way to handle asymmetric valley rafters. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Medeek

Medeek

Version 2.6.2 - 11.17.2019
- Allowed the option for interior half hips within complex roofs.

The logic for interior half hips proved to be rather complicated.  This additional feature affected every aspect of the module so it took me about 7 days to make it happen.  However, in the process I think I also made the module more robust and addressed some other minor issues.  Eventually I will also need to enable interior dutch gables but right now I'm too exhausted mentally to attempt it.  Currently only gables and half hips are able to pile up on each other as shown.

Also note that you can mix things up with interior gables and half hips.  For instance you could have a half hip on gable on half hip or any other combination.

Now, let's see if I can make anymore head way on valleys, hips and rafters...

Medeek

Version 2.6.3 - 12.02.2019
- Fixed multiple bugs in the complex roof module as related to metric templates.

After a bit of a Thanksgiving break I'm back on the complex roof module.  There is still a considerable amount of work to do with the framing of the roof, some of the details I am still sorting out, in particular a very efficient rafter framing algorithm.  I'm hoping to wrap this all up in the next couple of weeks and then jump over to the new Medeek Floor extension which will replace the floor truss/I-Joist module of the Truss plugin.

The new floor extension will allow for complex floors with the ability to alter the outline of floor similar to the complex roof.

Medeek

I always get a lot of questions about what features are available within the truss plugin.

Many of these questions can be answered with a quick search of the changelog:

http://design.medeek.com/resources/pluginchangelog.html

Just a reminder that the changelog lists every new feature, modification or correction to the plugin since its inception (Oct. 2015 - Present).

Medeek

First look at ridge caps for a complex roof:

There is still quite a bit of work to do on this feature/module, but at least I have a game plan in place now and I think I can make it happen.

Medeek

Version 2.6.4 - 12.16.2019
- Exposed the roof soffit layer name in Layers tab of the global settings.
- Fixed multiple bugs in the gambrel attic truss module.

If you are using gambrel attic trusses this is a critical update/fix.  This addresses the following two bugs:

- Error when metal plates was turned off in the global settings.
- Non-initialization of the roof cladding material name.

Medeek

Version 2.6.5 - 12.18.2019
- Enabled an "orthogonal mode" for the complex roof draw menu.
- Added the ability to delete points in the complex roof draw menu.

Clicking the "Ctrl" key will enforce orthogonal mode while using the draw tool.  Currently the orthogonal mode will restrict the user to 45 deg. increments.

While selecting the points for a roof outline the user may accidentally select an incorrect point.  By clicking the left arrow key the user can delete the previously selected point (or multiple points).  I will probably also incorporate this same feature within the draw menus of the foundation and upcoming floor plugin.

Both of these improvements are a result of plugin usability discussions with Larry Belk.

Medeek

As we begin a new decade the number of licensed users of the Truss plugin is currently at 1,200.  The plugin is now just over 4 years old, it will be interesting to see what we can do with it and the other plugins of the mdkBIM suite in this coming year.

I am looking forward to completing the complex roof module as well as bringing the truss side of the house up to par with the rafter side within this module.

Beyond that, it is the new floor plugin and project plugin as well as completing some key items with the wall plugin. 

Wishing everyone a happy and prosperous New Year.

Medeek

A study of intersecting roof planes and trusses:

View model here:

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/bcdaff92-ddbb-4deb-be3f-0b75971414f5/45-Degree-Valley-Set

I didn't spend any time trimming truss tails or worrying about the sheathing or cladding, I was mostly interested in the truss layout and roof planes.

Note that I created the tertiary roof plane in order to then draw a solid (temp rafter) which I then used as the primary roof plane for the second valley set (45 degree).

I've colored all of the temp geometry transparently so you can dissect the model a little easier.

I'm not entirely sure if this is how a truss manufacturer would actually handle this type of situation, but this is my best guess.

Medeek

Version 2.6.6 - 01.29.2020
- Fixed a bug in the (complex roofs) roof plane edit menu for the outlooker size parameter.
- Fixed a bug involving truss assemblies and valley set assemblies that are created in the same SketchUp session.

Medeek

So far no issues with SU 2020 and the complex roof module. Still a lot more testing to go.

I really need to get added to the BETA tester's list so that I can get ahead of this compatibility testing before the next new release of SketchUp.

Medeek

Version 2.6.7 - 02.09.2020
- Fixed a bug in the text input method of the draw menu for complex rafter roofs.
- Added a T1-11 built-in material into the material library.

Medeek

Version 2.6.8 - 04.10.2020
- Fixed a show_modal bug for macOS in the Timber Truss HTML menu dialog.

With this latest release I've had to migrate to the .rbe encryption system so this version will no longer run on SketchUp 2015 or earlier.