Development and Updates for the Medeek Truss Plugin

Started by Medeek, November 07, 2015, 03:06:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Medeek

**Fun with Roofs - Episode 1**

My 9 year old son took one look at this roof and then said "Don't build this in Florida, you'll create a sink hole".

View model here:

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/2032fed3-cb9b-40c4-80b1-be1009b3f022/Residence-8
Nathaniel P. Wilkerson, P.E.

Medeek

The hip truss portion is about 60%.  Between being busy at work and recuperating from my surgery I'm still not 100%, but I do plan on working on the hip truss module next.  That is definitely high on the priority list.

Medeek

Version 1.8.9 - 05.01.2017
- Added energy/raised heels for triple fink truss (3 variant: wedge, slider and vertical w/ strut).
- Metal plate connectors now enabled for triple fink trusses.

Medeek

I'm trying to figure out the correct way to frame the stairwell as it joins up with the floor diaphragm above. 

It's hard to show exactly what I mean with sectional views, the best thing is to view the 3D model and you will see what I am talking about.

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/c44b3423-611d-4dac-be93-4cf1cc072891/Stairs-1

I am working on the polygon and hole tool for I-Joist and Solid Sawn floors.  When you actually frame out this opening would you just use rimboard around the perimeter as I have shown?

2Harry

I can't speak for others, but with the floor opening supported by bearing walls below, as you have modelled here, then, yes, I would line the opening with rim boards (as compression members only).   These are cheaper than structural I-joist and easier to fasten together for this purpose.

Of course, if the opening is not supported by lower walls then the opening must use the structural I-joist for doublers and trimmers around it. Rim boards are not allowed for bending members I believe.

And if the floor is framed from sawn lumber instead of I-joist then the structural members are the same as the rim board material anyway.

Regards

Medeek

I've got to fix my wife's computer today so that will probably stop me from getting any real meaningful work done on the plugins but at least I've been able to throw together a first draft for the office I want to build.  Any thoughts on improving the design, sometimes once you get an idea in your head it is hard to see outside the box.

I haven't shown the doors or the front porch which will probably be quite small and pressure treated lumber.

- 32'x24'
- 5:12 or 6:12 roof with asphalt shingles
- two rooms
- 9' ceilings
- stemwall foundation with crawlspace
- carpet throughout
- 5/8" wallboard
- 3068 doors, (1) 4040XO, (3) 5040XO
- 11-7/8" I-Joists at 16" o/c
- studs DF No. 2, 2x6 @ 16" o/c
- sheathing will probably be 1/2" plywood, I don't like OSB in our climate.
- Siding Hardiplank or cedar siding, my budget may call for T11 though.
- Electric wall cadet heaters
- 50 AMP sub-panel from house
- 16" overhangs at eaves and gables with gutters and downspouts and 4" drain lines away from building.

Medeek

All the end details are working.  This is an example of a Mansard Parapet truss with 5 panels and different overhangs:

Now I just need to work on the plates and advanced options.

Medeek

Version 1.9.0 - 05.27.2017
- Added flat truss type, configurations: flat, monopitch, pitched.
- Metric input enabled for flat truss types.
- Added gable end trusses for flat truss types.
- Enabled the following end details for all flat truss types: None, Overhang, Cantilever, Mansard, Parapet, Mansard w/ Parapet.

Plates and advanced options are still in progress.  With the amount of configurations available with this truss type it will probably be a while before these next elements are in place.

The flat truss type is very configurable and with a little adjustment of parameters you can also easily create a (non-attic) gambrel truss using the flat pitched option.

Medeek

Medeek

The flat truss is the first new truss type added to the plugin in 11 months.  This brings the total number of truss types to approximately twenty two depending on how you classify the variants of the flat truss:

View model here:

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/317af74e-a52c-470b-a612-1ba7c06617f0/Medeek-Truss-Yard-4

Medeek

The flat double pitched truss allows for a user driven asymmetric ridge location as well as differing left and right heel heights.  This opens up virtually any possible truss geometry even a negative pitch if one is so inclined:

Medeek

I thought I was done with flat trusses but it was pointed out to me that I also need to consider top chord bearing configurations for this truss type.

I've created a simple matrix below with top and bottom chord bearing flat trusses.  I'm not sure if these make sense, please review and feel free to comment.

The model can be downloaded here:

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/acee31ef-9e54-4eca-83d7-02747815ed29/Flat-Truss-End-Details-3

Top chord bearing usually involves the following steps:

1.)  Trimming the heel web up a specific vertical amount (vertical offset).
2.)  Insertion of a secondary heel web next to the trimmed (bearing) heel web.
3.)  Trimming the bottom chord back to the secondary heel web.
4.)  The diagonal web next to the heel is slightly altered by the addition of a secondary heel web.
5.)  Certain configs require an additional heel web on the outside of the trimmed heel web:  Mansard, Cantilever, Mansard w/ Parapet.

I can easily make this all happen and open up the option for top chord bearing flat roof trusses however I want to make sure it is right first.

Medeek

The top chord bearing option is almost complete for the flat trusses.  Here is a preview with a Mansard /w Parapet on the left side and a cantilever on the right side.  The bearing widths can be set independently as can the parapets heights now.

I'm not entirely satisfied with the UI for this truss type, a proper html UI would be much more intuitive but time consuming to create.  Yet another important item on the todo list.

The plugin is starting to stray into some fairly exotic truss territory.

Medeek

Wood Gusset plates are on my mind this morning (for those of us crazy enough to build or own trusses):

Of course this option would be pretty much useless without the engineering to size the plates and check the fasteners.  I will be giving this some more thought in the near future.

Medeek

I think I've beaten the flat truss to death but I noticed after perusing through a number of flat truss shop drawings that the modified warren is also a popular web configuration.  Its not too big of a deal to enable this configuration.  The flat truss will then have the option between a pratt or mod warren web configuration.