Development and Updates for the Medeek Electrical Plugin

Started by Medeek, January 24, 2019, 03:46:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Medeek

Version 1.0.9 - 11.24.2019
- Added the "Draw Floor Outlets" and the "Draw Misc. Fixture" function to the secondary toolbar.
- Enabled the ability to draw misc. fixtures with Medeek wall assemblies or any wall geometry. Enabled misc. devices include: Thermostats, doorbell buttons, doorbell chimes, and doorbell transformers.

View model here:

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/e1dd218c-7b6a-4883-b9df-7121f814170a/Misc-Electrical-Fixtures

Additional fixture components (ie. other manufacturer's doorbell models etc...) can easily be utilized by placing them into the appropriate sub-folder of the plugin's library/misc sub-folder.
Nathaniel P. Wilkerson, P.E.

Medeek

Medeek

Medeek

Version 1.1.0 - 12.01.2019
- Fixed a minor bug in the General tab of the global settings.
- Enabled the ability to draw floor and ceiling outlets.

The included outlets: Raco 5500, Leviton 25249 (Nickel and Brass) Series, Standard Duplex Outlet.

The plugin automatically detects whether the outlet is a floor or ceiling outlet and assigns the appropriate symbol.  This may require some further refinement for outlets mounted to slightly inclined floor or ceiling surfaces, I will be testing this particular situation further.

User defined outlets can be utilized by dropping the component files into the appropriate library sub-folders:  library/fc_rcpt/gang1 or library/fc_rcpt/gang2

The default label for floor/ceiling outlets is 'RCPT', however this can be set independently from wall mount outlets in the global settings.

Medeek

Has anyone ever seen or used a symbol for a duplex switch?

Medeek

Version 1.1.1 - 12.04.2019
- Added additional 240V duplex and simplex outlets to the built-in library: NEMA 6-15R and NEMA 6-20R.
- Added some simplex outlets to the floor outlet built-in library.

I'm wondering with the undesignated 240V outlets if I should provide the NEMA number (ie. 6-20R) next to the 2D symbol.  I would assume that this would be very useful information, a 240V receptacle can take many forms and various amperages.

Medeek

Version 1.1.1b - 12.04.2019

- Added more 20A (NEMA 5-20R) outlets to the outlet module:  GFCI, WP GFCI, USB etc...

Creating a few new electrical components gives me a much needed break from the code and is actually quite relaxing.  I'm at the most difficult part of the complex roof module, so I'm taking a couple days to clear my head so that I can take a fresh crack at it and allow myself to think outside the box if required.  I find that sometimes it helps to take a break sometimes, which effectively takes the blinders off, and then alternative (better) solutions almost magically appear.

If there are any specific outlet or fixture types you would like added please email me.

I apologize that I have not provided a solution for other electrical standards yet.  Eventually I will do this but I'm not ready to bite it off just yet.

Even if you do not purchase the plugin, I think it would be worthwhile to download the trial version just for all of the pre-built electrical components now available in the library sub-folder.  Of course, I would prefer that you purchase the plugin but if you don't need the parametrics and some of the other automated features then even the trial version and the library files might be quite useful.

Medeek

Version 1.1.2 - 12.24.2019
- Added the "Draw Low Voltage Panel" function to the secondary toolbar.
- Enabled the ability to draw low voltage panels with Medeek wall assemblies or any wall geometry. Included Structured Media Panels: Leviton 47605 (14", 21", 28", 42").

View model here:

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/8756fbe4-1c0a-4643-999e-3c69a856bf3f/Low-Voltage-Panels

For now only the flush cover models are included however if I find the time I will model up the hinged cover variants and include those as part of the standard library.

Medeek

I'm trying to figure out how to best handle the situation where outlets and switches are vertically sitting on top of each other:

I'm thinking about adding an advanced parameter which allows offsetting the symbol and label a custom amount so that the symbols don't all pile up on top of each other.

Medeek

Version 1.1.2b - 12.25.2019
- Added an offset parameter (advanced options) for switches which allows the symbol and label to be offset from the wall.

Medeek

Version 1.1.3 - 01.01.2020
- Added additional (120V, 20A) outlets to the built-in outlet library.

This update includes various (20A) USB and GFCI outlets.

Medeek

What would be the appropriate 2D electrical symbol for this 4 port USB charging outlet?

Its not really a duplex outlet anymore.

Medeek

For many of the electrical fixtures the designer can use their own electrical components as well as the ones included with the plugin.  Here are a few hints/tips on how to do this:

1.) You need remove the spaces from file names with spaces in them.  Either delete the spaces or replace them with underscores like I have done with my filenames.

2.) With your electrical light fixtures be sure that fixture base is located at the origin of the model within your component file.  This actually applies to any electrical fixture.  The location of the component with respect to the origin determines where it will land within the model once it is inserted by the plugin.

3.) When you insert the (ceiling mount) light fixture below make sure you select "ceiling" and not "wall" for the mounting position from the parameter list.

Medeek

Per a customer request I will probably add in two additional user definable fields for all electrical fixtures:

1.) Description
2.) Circuit

Unlike other parameters these will default to a nil value.

Are there any other parameters like these that I should add while I am updating each electrical fixture type to include these additional two parameters?

Medeek

Version 1.1.4 - 02.16.2020
- Added optional metadata parameters for switches: description, circuit.

Once I've received some additional feedback on this new feature I will probably add the metadata parameters for all other electrical fixtures.

Further down the road I can probably also setup a tool which will allow the user to quickly visualize which switches, outlets etc... are on a particular circuit.