Development and Updates for the Medeek Wall Plugin

Started by Medeek, March 04, 2017, 08:59:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Medeek

Version 1.9.6 - 03.09.2021
- Added a layer for "symbols" to the miscellaneous layer/tag options (Layer tab of the Global Settings).
- Fixed a minor bug in the shed wall edit menu.

This update moves the symbols for windows, doors, garage doors, shearwalls, in-wall columns and holdowns to the "wall_symbol" layer/tag.
Nathaniel P. Wilkerson, P.E.

Medeek

I'm always curious as to how people are actually using the plugins and to be honest I take a lot of phone calls and emails every day but rarely do I get to see the end result.  Mostly I deal with small issues and customers who are still getting oriented with the plugins or who are having a bit of trouble with the learning curve.

To encourage some (visual) feedback I am going to hold a **special drawing**.  Who ever wins the drawing will get a two year extension on all of their plugin licenses (Wall, Truss, Foundation and Electrical - approx. a $300.00 value).  To have your name/business entered into the hat you only need to have a licensed copy of one of the plugins and submit one post on the SketchUp forum or on this forum (with picture or pictures) showing a project you created with any one of the plugins (it doesn't have to be all of the plugins and it doesn't have to be a whole house design). To increase the odds of you winning and to provide more incentive for participation, I will draw three times, so there will be a total of three winners.   I will hold the drawings at 10:00 PM MST on Mar. 24th, so you have basically two weeks to make a submission.  I will post the winners of the drawing on this forum board.

*Note that educational licenses and trial licenses do not qualify for the drawing.  If your extension(s) license has expired that will not matter, I will add the two years to the Mar. 24th drawing date.  If you recently purchased the extensions then you will get two years added to your exp. update date.*

My primary intent is to be able to view some interesting projects created with the plugins and SketchUp.  I am now more firmly convinced than ever that SketchUp is the way forward and the  **future** of residential architectural design.

P.S.
If you post your project on the SketchUp forum please post in the appropriate category.  You can also post on this website forum as well here:  http://design.medeek.com/smf/index.php?board=2.0

Medeek

Version 1.9.7 - 03.12.2021
- Fixed a bug involving gable, shed and hips walls that are created adjacent to rectangular walls.
- Fixed a minor bug involving regeneration of dissimilar wall types at the same type.

Medeek

Version 1.9.8 - 03.13.2021
- Added an extra (Trim Top Plate) parameter to the "Start" and "End" configurations of rectangular walls.

**** CAUTION ****
This update adds two new parameters to the rectangular walls and will require the user to delete and recreate any rectangular wall presets.  This upgrade does not affect gable wall or any other presets (ie. windows, door, garage, gable wall, shed wall, hip wall).

This parameter (for the start and end of the wall) should normally be assigned to a value of "YES", this is also its default behavior.  However, in certain cases (such as a corner with a shed or gable wall) it may be useful to configure its value as "NO", as shown in the image above. 

Medeek

So far I have three people who are eligible for the drawing on the 24th, I'm not really seeing much interest so let's up the stakes a bit. If you post a project using any of the plugins within the next thirty days (Mar. 1 - Apr. 15) you are entitled to a one year upgrade on any and all licenses that you have purchased.

So the drawings are cancelled and I'm just going with "Post a Project, and Win a Prize".

Medeek

I've had some recent interest in a log siding/cladding similar to the shiplap cladding I enabled recently:

Thoughts?

Medeek

Version 1.9.9 - 03.20.2021
- Added the ability to create custom "Log" wall cladding materials within the Material Library.
- Enabled "3D" Log wall cladding for all wall types: Rectangular, Gable, Shed and Hip.

View model here:

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/a9bea507-7bcf-4355-b7c9-9a6d3e2deeb8/Log-Wall-Siding?tab=general

mrramsey

Quote from: Medeek on March 13, 2021, 09:56:45 PM
So far I have three people who are eligible for the drawing on the 24th, I'm not really seeing much interest so let's up the stakes a bit. If you post a project using any of the plugins within the next thirty days (Mar. 1 - Apr. 15) you are entitled to a one year upgrade on any and all licenses that you have purchased.

So the drawings are cancelled and I'm just going with "Post a Project, and Win a Prize".

I tried posting but couldn't get the pics to post. I emailed them to you.

Medeek

Here is an issue with half walls that tee into other walls.  Notice how the gypsum is being cut:

Let's see if I can adjust the gypsum module to rectify this particular situation.

Medeek

Version 2.0.0 - 03.21.2021
- Fixed a bug with the gypsum (cutout) where a half wall tees into another wall.

Medeek

Version 2.0.1 - 03.27.2021
- Fixed a bug (introduced with Version 1.9.8 release) with wall presets for rectangular walls.

*** Critical Fix ***
I highly recommend updating to this latest release.  A small typo in the 1.9.8 release essentially rendered the wall presets unusable.  This fix rectifies that error and re-enables wall presets.

Medeek

Version 2.0.2 - 03.31.2021
- Added a "Draw Molding" tool to the updated Blocking/Molding toolbar.
- Added the ability to create base board, crown molding and chair rail with the "Molding" tool.
- Added additional parameters into the General tab of the Global Settings as related to moldings.
- Added an additional layer for moldings into the Layers tab of the Global Settings.

I will probably need to make a video on this new tool to help clarify its usage.

The user has the ability to add their own profiles for the various molding types, so this should make this tool fairly flexible.

Also note that the moldings are created independently of the wall panels so the tool can be used with any wall geometry, not just Medeek walls.

See model here:

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/3ecc2b9a-791f-4ecf-bc3d-6e992e511441/Crown-Chair-and-Base-Molding?tab=general

Medeek

Medeek

I've had some clients ask me about positioning the cladding material/texture on the cladding group (or face to be more precise). 

I just noticed that there is actually an API method for this operation:

https://ruby.sketchup.com/Sketchup/Face.html#position_material-instance_method

A vertical offset parameter for the material/texture would come in very useful when walls are stacked in a multi-story scenario and you want the siding or some other cladding to line up across multiple vertically stacked walls.

I learn something new everyday.

Medeek

Version 2.0.3 - 04.03.2021
- Removed all limitations on wall height in the trial version of the plugin.

I decided that it was time for this overly draconian measure to go away.  I want people to enjoy using my plugins not add to their frustration levels.  There is still a 30 day time limit on the trial version, so not all limitations have been removed.