Development and Updates for the Medeek Wall Plugin

Started by Medeek, March 04, 2017, 08:59:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Medeek

Version 1.2.8b - 02.25.2020
- Added double slider (XOX) windows to the window module.
- Added twin single hung windows to the window module.

View model here:

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/c05dedae-a2ad-4842-8937-e6169e242002/XOX-Window-Double-Slider
Nathaniel P. Wilkerson, P.E.

Medeek

Version 1.2.9 - 02.28.2020
- Addressed the issue where upgrading the plugin would delete custom materials, custom headers and wall presets. These items are now stored outside of the plugin sub-folder.

The good news with this update, is that unlike some of the other recent updates, it will not affect compatibility.  The somewhat bad news is that I have not yet tested it with MacOS, but in theory it should work perfectly, I am waiting with bated breath.

This is one those under-the-hood updates that does not appear to be very exciting however that fact that updating the plugin will no longer erase your custom materials, headers and wall presets is actually a pretty big deal.  I am hoping this update will ultimately decrease a lot of my tech support calls and emails, I think it will make a difference.

Now I just need to apply this same fix to the Truss, Foundation and Electrical plugins...

Medeek

Just to offer a few more details on this latest update. 

When you first install the plugin or upgrade it any existing plugin folder is removed during the uninstall and recreated during the install.  The following sub-folders are created with the new .rbz file:

- library_headers
- library_mats
- presets

These contain the default headers, materials and presets (none) that come with the plugin as it ships.

The first time you run the plugin it then creates a sub-folder here (on windows, Mac is similar but slightly different path):

C:\Users\%Username%\AppData\Roaming\Medeek\2017\medeek_wall_ext

Notice the year in the full path, this will of course depend on which version of SU you are installing the plugin into.  The plugin then looks into this folder for the three sub-folders listed above, if it can't find them it copies the default folders and their contents from the plugin folder to the "AppData" folder.  This is where the working folders actually exist for these settings, and when you add new materials etc... this is where the modifications and additions are made.

When you upgrade the plugin the plugin folder is removed and recreated however the sub-folder in AppData is retained.  If the new installation then finds these sub-folder already existing it does not attempt to recreate them and hence your settings are retained.

Each different version of SketchUp (ie. 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020) will all have their own separate sub-folder and parameters assuming you've installed the plugins into these separate SU installations.  One can easily duplicate parameters by copying and pasting the "medeek_wall_ext" sub-folder between the SU version folders if required.  I may include a tool for automating that (migration wizard) if there is enough demand for it.

Medeek

The Beams/Columns toolbar will now include two additional icons:

- Draw Post
- Edit Post

In order to differentiate between in-wall columns and free standing columns I will be using the term "post" to refer to the latter and simply "column" to refer to the former.

The new post or free standing column module is actually relatively simple so I thought I would knock it out  this weekend since there has been some demand for it recently.  The basic concepts and configurations will be as shown before in a previous thread:

Each color denotes a unique material that can be specified by the user.  Hopefully this should give enough flexibility when it comes to wrapping free standing columns.

Even though it requires more upfront work on my end I think I would like to setup the post selection similar to the custom header library so that the user can preconfigure various post sizes and materials.  This feature will be made available within the global settings.

P.S.  Tomorrow is the last day before the 2020 price increases takes affect.

Medeek

Here are the parameters for the Post Module:

BASIC OPTIONS:
Post Type:
Post Size:
Lumber Species:
Grade:
Post Ply Qty.:
Pressure Treated: Yes/No
Post Rotation:
Adv. Post Options: Yes/No

ADVANCED OPTIONS:
Wrap: Yes/No
Wainscot: Yes/No
Cap: Yes/No
Base: Yes/No
Astragal: Yes/No

WRAP OPTIONS:
Wrap Thickness:
Wrap Air Gap:
Wrap Material:

WAINSCOT OPTIONS:
Wainscot Thickness:
Wainscot Air Gap:
Wainscot Height:
Wainscot Material:

Wainscot Ledge: Yes/No
Ledge Depth:
Ledge Overhang:
Ledge Material:

CAP OPTIONS:
Cap Thickness:
Cap Depth:
Cap Material:

BASE OPTIONS:
Base Thickness:
Base Depth:
Base Material:

ASTRAGAL OPTIONS:
Astragal Thickness:
Astragal Depth:
Astragal Height:
Astragal Material:

The basic options will be very similar to the beam module with the option for steel columns as well as wood (eg. lumber, timber, SCL, glulam).

Medeek

Version 1.3.0 - 03.07.2020
- Fixed a critical bug with custom materials that was caused by the change in the location of the plugin's data sub-folder.

*** CRITICAL BUG FIX ***
If you recently downloaded version 1.2.9 of the plugin then you will want to upgrade to this version to resolve an issue with custom materials in the Material Library.  I highly suggest that everyone upgrade to this latest release at your earliest convenience.

Medeek

I've been thinking about how to best handle levels or floors of a structure lately.  I'm thinking about assigning an additional parameter (that can be user edited) which assigns a given wall assembly to a particular user defined level or floor.  Another way of handling this is in conjunction with layer assignment.  Everyone's workflow is a little different so I think it is important that if I provide certain options I make them truly optional.  In other words the layer assignment tool could optionally assign the assemblies to a particular layer/tag.

As a side note SU 2020 now calls layers -> tags.  I'm not really happy with that change, I don't see why the word layer or layers was a bad or incorrect term within the context of SketchUp.  Honestly, tags is even more confusing in my opinion.  For now I will not be changing my terminology within the plugin, I will still be calling them layers, everyone knows what I'm talking about.  If the term "tags" actually sticks then in a year or so  I may consider updating my terminology, but I'm going to let this one percolate for a while.

Medeek

First look at the HTML draw menu for the Post module:

This module is relatively simple however since there are so many advanced options there is still quite a bit of coding to do.

Medeek

Version 1.3.1 - 03.15.2020
- Added a "Style4" door hardware option (Lever & Deadbolt) to the door module.
- Fixed a bug with the door opening tool for man doors.

laurence o shea

Hi Nathaniel, how did you draw this example, please. Thank you
warm regards
Larry O'Shea

Quote from: Medeek on June 30, 2018, 09:30:31 PM
Changing gears from exterior trim to gable walls you can see in the image below that a symmetric gable wall with equal wall heights and equal pitches is only the tip of the iceberg.  In the example below the pitches are equal but the start and end wall heights differ by four feet.  One could also have different roof pitches so the pitches may differ as well.

Theoretically one could draw a scenario like this with two "shed" wall panels butted up to each other except for the problem that the door would bisect this wall junction, hence it must be drawn as a single wall panel.

Also note the double stud placement at the pitch break.  This may not be typical for all builders but I would recommend this more conservative approach rather than a single stud at the pitch break.

Looking at this wall segment it occurs to me that wall panels that connect to this panel at the corners or tee into it cannot be treated the same way rectangular wall panels connect with lapping top plates. 

Again, things just got a little more interesting.

The most common (balloon framed) gable shapes are probably the following:

- Shed (monopitch with different start and end wall heights)
- Symmetric Gable (equal pitches and equal wall heights)
- Non-symmetric Gable (equal/unequal pitches and equal/unequal wall heights)
- Symmetric Gambrel (dual pitch equal and equal wall heights)
- Hip  (equal pitch, equal wall heights with a flat middle section)
- Clerestory (equal/unequal pitches with equal/unequal wall heights with a kneel wall at pitch break)

Please feel free to add to this list.  I believe the first three of this list are the highest priority.

Medeek

Currently the gable and shed wall tool is still in development.

In the meantime you can create a gable wall manually by first creating the wall as a rectangular wall and then once all of your openings and other features are finalized manually editing the wall panel.

See this tutorial video (Gable Wall Workaround) for more details:

laurence o shea

Quote from: Medeek on January 17, 2020, 08:27:12 AM
I've been considering add an advanced option for Quoins (outside corners only):

The required parameters would probably be:

Style:
Length 1:
Length 2:
Height:
Spacing:
Thickness:
Material:

View model here:

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/2d6196f1-b1ef-4731-94a3-32a9698ab863/Quoins

That would be awesome!I look forward to it..

Medeek

First look at some posts created with the Post module:

The basic module is up and running I just need to spend a few more hours on the advanced options (ie. wrap, wainscot, base, cap and astragal) and then this module will be a welcome addition to the plugin.

View model here:

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/e4f8e345-f16f-4d01-985e-3e03fa7be6cc/Free-Standing-Posts

Medeek

Version 1.3.2 - 03.31.2020
- Added the ability to draw and edit free standing columns with the Beams/Column Toolset.

View model here:

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/e4f8e345-f16f-4d01-985e-3e03fa7be6cc/Free-Standing-Posts

Medeek

Version 1.3.2b - 04.02.2020
- Added an indexing parameter for posts to the General tab of the global settings.
- Added the built-in materials (red brick) for post wrap and wainscot and (concrete) for post ledges.
- Added labels and callouts for all post types.

I've also switched to the new .rbe encryption method for the plugin which effectively prevents it from running on SketchUp 2015 or earlier.  I was more than content to stick with the .rbs encryption method but the SketchUp extension signing page has removed this encryption method and only the .rbe method is currently offered.