Development and Updates for the Medeek Engineering Plugin

Started by Medeek, December 03, 2016, 07:23:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Medeek

An example of some distributed and point loads applied to a steel (W) beam:

I could also do something like this for the distributed load representations, thoughts?

Now I just need to add the supports and we are done with the engineering geometry.

After that I need to figure out the finite element analysis (matrix analysis) engine that will be used to calculate the shear, moments and deflections of the beam (single or multi-span).  Since the number of loads and supports is potentially unlimited there is no one classical equation that will solve this problem:

https://www.awc.org/pdf/codes-standards/publications/design-aids/AWC-DA6-BeamFormulas-0710.pdf
Nathaniel P. Wilkerson, P.E.

Medeek

The last matrix analysis engine I wrote was for the truss calculator, its been a while.  The good news is that I have my textbook on how to do it and it turns out that the beam analysis problem is really only a one dimensional problem, much less complicated than a two or three dimensional problem.  This is going to be fun, just so you guys no I'm on summer vacation right now so let me have some fun with a bit of engineering.

This is my reference and favorite text on the subject matter:

https://www.amazon.com/Structural-Analysis-7th-Russell-Hibbeler/dp/0136020607

Medeek

An example of a beam with loads and supports:

Clicking the control key allow the user to insert supports by their center and then bearing length.

View model here:

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/9e576bc8-88cd-4a71-9b47-3c0298b6e823/Beam-Engineering-3

Medeek

Medeek

In certain situations you will need to regen the engineering loads and supports on a beam. A scenario might be where you edit the beam and change either its depth or width or both.

The regen engineering context menu item will allow you to do this and will appropriately reposition and/or resize the supports and loads to match the beam.

Medeek

When you assign a support with blocking (lateral bracing) then it will be drawn with a dashed line (both sides of beam) as shown to indicate that bracing is being provided at that location:

Medeek

Medeek

The beam engineering geometry features are now complete.  You can now add, move, delete or modify an unlimited number of supports, distributed loads and point loads.  If the beam itself is modified there is also a function to regenerate all of the engineering geometry to properly match the updated beam width and depth.

The next step will be to work on the actual engineering engine (FEA) and add in additional engineering (global) parameters.  Some of these parameters will be things like deflection limits etc...

Medeek

Moving a distributed load:

It may be more intuitive to select the distribute load and then select whether to move the start or end point, rather than just moving it by its center point.  Granted, one can modify the start and end locations within the edit menu.

Medeek

The updated toolbar with the "Engineer Beam" icon added.

Medeek

Version 0.8.0 - 03.14.2021
- Created the Medeek Engineering Plugin, utilizing SketchUp's Ruby API (BETA release).

I haven't paid much attention to this plugin for about 8 months as I have been so busy updating all of the other plugins (Wall, Truss, Foundation and Electrical).  When I get some more time I will get back to work on the matrix analysis engine that is required for the calculation module.  For now you should be able to add loads and supports to beams created with the beam module of the Medeek Wall plugin.

The plugin is very much in BETA right now, however I wanted to at least get it out so people can start playing with the load and support tools and give me any feedback they might have.

The BETA/Trial version of the plugin can be downloaded here:

http://design.medeek.com/resources/medeekengineeringplugin.pl

Note, that you cannot purchase this plugin yet.  I will not enable purchasing until I have completed the calculation module and brought it out of BETA status.

MikeS

Really looking forward to this plugin!  Currently I use a combination of Forte and Vitruvis and I find I end up with a notepad full of calculated tributary areas and weight calcs so I can plug the info into the programs.  To have a layer in the Sketchup model that contains all that information is a huge win.  If there is anyway to contain within the plugin tributary areas with Auto uniform load calcs that would incredible.