Development and Updates for the Medeek Truss Plugin

Started by Medeek, November 07, 2015, 03:06:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Medeek

Version 2.6.9 - 04.11.2020
- Enabled the "Edit Truss Assembly" function for all parallel chord trusses (imperial and metric units).
- Labels and callouts added to parallel chord trusses.

There are still a number of truss types and rafter roofs that still need edit capabilities, I am slowly working through this list.
Nathaniel P. Wilkerson, P.E.

Medeek

Version 2.7.0 - 04.12.2020
- Enabled the "Edit Truss Assembly" function for all timber trusses (imperial and metric units).

Medeek

Version 2.7.1 - 04.13.2020
- Enabled the "Edit Roof Assembly" function for shed w/ ledger rafter roofs (imperial and metric units).
- Enabled soffit and fascia for shed w/ ledger rafter roofs: boxed, gable, angled.
- Enabled a roof cladding extension parameter for shed w/ ledger rafter roofs.
- Added the option in the shed w/ ledger rafter roof edit menu to specify a separate front and back overhang length.
- Enabled a "No Framing" mode for shed w/ ledger rafter roofs.

Medeek

Skylights have not been on my official todo list but now they are.

I've actually been tossing the Skylight idea around for a while now, how best to implement it within the various roof modules.  I've got some ideas already but I haven't finalized it yet.

Does anyone have any specifics or suggestions on the actual skylight models/components that I should use.  Specific brands, reference drawings, that sort of thing.

My thinking is to have some fairly generic skylight models that the user could chose from.  The skylight module would then bring these components into the model and also cut the corresponding holes in the roof cladding and sheathing.  I would also have a tool for editing and deleting a skylight.  As far as moving the skylight on the roof plane, I would allow the user to simply click into the roof assembly and moving the skylight with the native tools as they see fit, this would be the simplest way of handling re-positioning.

Again, I'm still tossing this idea around, trying to shake out the best system for implementing it, any feedback is appreciated.

Medeek

Velux has their official models in the warehouse but as usual there are too many details in these models, so I had to create my own low poly versions that are dimensionally accurate:

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/f56a0a28-e161-46ce-a051-ea081c9e2a74/Medeek-Skylights-Velux-Low-Poly

Medeek

Medeek

Version 2.7.2 - 04.24.2020
- Added wall sheathing thickness and wall cladding thickness parameters to the advanced options for trusses.
- Enabled advanced options for tail bearing trusses.

I still need to enable editing and labels for tail bearing trusses.

Medeek

Version 2.7.2b - 04.24.2020
- Enabled the "Edit Truss Assembly" function for all tail bearing trusses (imperial and metric units).
- Labels and callouts added to tail bearing trusses.

This update also resolves a potential bug that could cause the plugin to go into a infinite loop if the birdsmouth cut exceeds the depth of the top chord of the truss.  If you are using tail bearing trusses I highly recommend upgrading to this latest release.

The updated module is now properly creating the gypsum on the underside of the truss (three pieces).

Medeek

Version 2.7.3 - 04.26.2020
- Added a Global Reset button in the General tab of the Global Settings.

Medeek

Version 2.7.4 - 05.02.2020
- Fixed a bug with the soffit and fascia module for all truss types.

This bug fix is specifically for the boxed soffit for truss roofs.  Previously if one did not enable the fascia but enabled the soffit then it would throw an error.  There may be other similar bugs in this module or others so I am constantly testing combinations of various parameters to make sure no interdependencies have been overlooked.

Medeek

Version 2.7.5 - 05.05.2020
- Enabled a toggle feature (Ctrl key) for the Trim tool so that the selection can be retained or removed.

This small adjustment of the Trim tool is to bring it inline with the Trim 2 tool.  This feature is per customer request.

Medeek

First look at the skylight tool in action:

Note, that this image shows the skylights added to a generic roof.  For the cutouts to work the roof geometry must be a valid solid group or component within an overall assembly group for the roof or building.

Initially there are three skylights (sizes) to choose from however it is possible to add your own skylights into the library.

The cut function can be toggled on/off in order to cut through the sheathing and cladding or in this case just a generic roof solid.

At some point I would also like to add in a few VELUX Sun Tunnels.

Now I just need to figure out how to heal the roof when a skylight is deleted or edited.  For a Medeek roof that is fairly straight forward, just regen the roof, however for a generic solid things get a little more tricky.

Medeek

Version 2.7.6 - 05.11.2020
- Added the Skylights toolbar.
- Enabled skylights for all truss, rafter and complex roofs.
- Enabled skylights for generic roofs.

I also added an additional tool for "regenerating" the skylights, this comes in handy after modifying the location of a skylight or if a Medeek roof gets regenerated and the holes in the sheathing and cladding need to be re-cut.

There are few new global settings I still need to add to fully complete this new module but overall it seems to be working quite nicely.

Medeek

Tutorial 18: Skylights (14.22 min.)

I often get a lot of questions that are answered in the tutorial videos.  Just a reminder, all of the tutorial videos can be found here:

http://design.medeek.com/resources/medeektrussplugin.html#Videos