Development and Updates for the Medeek Truss Plugin

Started by Medeek, November 07, 2015, 03:06:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Medeek

First look at the HTML edit menu for valley truss sets:

Feels like I'm driving a new car.  I've just got to finish adding in the ridge cap module and I'll make this update live.
Nathaniel P. Wilkerson, P.E.

Medeek

First look at the subtraction feature applied to a valley truss set:

Note that ridge caps will now be available for valley truss sets.

Medeek

Version 2.9.1 - 07.08.2021
- Added a "Regen" context menu item for valley truss sets.
- Enabled subtractive and custom geometry for valley truss set assemblies.
- Enabled HTML draw and edit menus for valley truss sets.
- Labels and callouts added to valley truss sets.
- Enabled the ridge cap option for valley truss sets.

View model here:

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/675e163e-597b-4f5e-b385-2ff1d2eb41fe/Valley-Set-Example

Medeek

Version 2.9.2 - 07.10.2021
- Enabled subscription and permanent licensing.
- The License tab of the Global Settings now displays the license type.

Medeek

Version 2.9.3 - 07.13.2021
- Added the option for adjusting the angle or pitch within the edit menu for common trusses.
- Added tooltips for advanced options within the edit menu for common trusses.
- Enabled the following 3D wall cladding materials for gable walls of common trusses: Board and Batten, Metal, Lap, Shiplap, and Log.
- Added both horizontal and vertical offset parameters for wall cladding materials for common trusses.

These were much needed additions for gable truss roofs.  I still need to enable these options for the other 25 truss types but progress has been made.

Medeek

Version 2.9.4 - 07.14.2021
- Improved the organization of the advanced options within the edit menu for common trusses.
- Enabled the following 3D roof cladding material for common trusses: Metal.
- Added a horizontal offset parameter for the 3D metal roof cladding material for common trusses.

Now I just need to enable this feature for all of the various truss sets and rafter roofs.

To create this particular standing seam roof my metal roof name is called out as:

metal_12.0_0.5_1.0_90

Medeek

Version 2.9.5 - 07.16.2021
- Improved the organization of the advanced options within the edit menu for gable rafter roofs.
- Enabled the following 3D roof cladding material for gable rafter roofs: Metal.
- Added a horizontal offset parameter for the 3D metal roof cladding material for gable rafter roofs.
- Added the option for adjusting the angle or pitch within the edit menu for gable rafter roofs.

View model here:

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/61d4af0c-7144-4f41-abf3-637909c50b2a/Metal-Roof-3D-Asymmetric-Rafter-Roof

Medeek

Version 2.9.6 - 07.17.2021
- Improved the organization of the advanced options within the edit menu for hip rafter roofs.
- Enabled the following 3D roof cladding material for hip rafter roofs: Metal.
- Added a horizontal offset parameter for the 3D metal roof cladding material for hip rafter roofs.
- Added the option for adjusting the angle or pitch within the edit menu for hip rafter roofs.

View model here:

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/46eda814-c7dd-48ac-8576-4e06054df14c/Metal-Hip-Rafter-Roof-3D

Medeek

Version 2.9.7 - 07.18.2021
- Improved the organization of the advanced options within the edit menu for valley and hip truss sets.
- Enabled the following 3D roof cladding material for valley and hip truss sets: Metal.
- Added a horizontal offset parameter for the 3D metal roof cladding material for valley and hip truss sets.
- Added the option for adjusting the angle or pitch within the edit menu for valley and hip truss sets.

View model here:

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/127abc90-bf91-4c0c-9c3c-302efd16421e/Hip-Set-with-3D-Metal-Roof

The next roof type I would like to add the 3D metal roof cladding option to is the complex roof.  The only problem I see with this is that with a rather large (complex) roof the algorithm that generates the 3D geometry is going to slow things down significantly.  In order to make this more feasible and ultimately more usable I will probably need to move that chunk of code to the SketchUp C API however it does not appear that one can modify an open model with the C API.  Any thoughts in this regard would be greatly appreciated.

Medeek

First look at the "Valley Set Check" for truss roofs.  (Note that this feature is currently being tested only with common trusses):

By default the check is toggled off for a new truss assembly.  However if the user places truss valley sets against a truss roof as shown, this option can then be toggled on and the regenerated roof will automatically remove the cladding beneath the valley set.  This will also update the net area calculated by the Medeek Estimator so that the correct cladding area is given.

Additional automation in dealing with the actual trusses (clipped heels) and soffit, fascia, sub-fascia, gutter etc... is being considered however I still need to give all of those considerations further thought and determine to what level of automation can or should be achieved.

Currently the best option for dealing with "complex" truss roofs will be the use of the CUSTOM and SUBTRACT features combined with this new "Valley Set" feature.

Medeek

Version 2.9.8 - 07.21.2021
- Improved the organization of the advanced options within the edit menu for complex rafter roofs.
- Enabled the following 3D roof cladding material for complex rafter roofs: Metal.
- Added a horizontal offset parameter for the 3D metal roof cladding material for complex rafter roofs.
- Added the option for adjusting the angle or pitch within the edit menu for complex rafter roofs.
- Added a "Valley Set Check" option for common truss roofs (roof cladding trim only).

Now I just need to figure out the hip and ridge algorithm, I got about halfway into it and then slammed into a brick way when it came to figuring out the junction of a ridge and a flying hip where the flying hip meets a lower ridge.

View model here:

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/cc22ea9c-4c6d-4fb3-9780-fbe41cb2f742/3D-Metal-Complex-Roof

Medeek

Making progress on the complex rafter framing algorithm, but still a long ways to go:

Medeek

Well the basics are more or less there but now the details...

Notice that the hip, flying hip and valley rafters are still missing, that algorithm is going to be fun.

Lots of little details that still need to be addressed to really make this usable in my opinion, especially when asymmetric roof planes are present within a roof assembly. 

View model here:

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/005fd8fe-4252-4d3d-8dbf-45c3e58eca37/Complex-Roof-Rafter-Framing

Medeek

Medeek